forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 26 Oct 04 10:55am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Chocolate Truffles

I am a great lover of chocolate. For the last couple of years, I've been doing some reading on chocolatiers. It's interesting to me.
These are great and easy to make. Give them away as gifts for the Holidays. If anyone has recipes on chocolate confections they would like to share, please do.
The recipe is from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.

1/2 pound good bittersweet chocolate
1/2 pound good semisweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons orange flavoured liquer (recommended Grand Marnier)
1 tablespoon prepared coffee
1/2 teaspoon good vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar
cocoa powder

Chop the chocolates finely with a sharp knife. Place them in a heat proof mixing bowl.
Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just boils. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to sit for 20 seconds. Pour the cream through a fine meshed sieve into the bowl with the chocolate. With a wire wisk, slowly stir the cream and chocolates together, until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the orange liquer, coffee, vanilla, and a very small pinch of salt. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
With 2 teaspoons or a melon baller, spoon round balls of the chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Roll each ball of chocolate in your hands to roughly make it round. Roll in confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder or both. These will keep refrigerated for weeks, but serve them at room temperature.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 26 Oct 04 3:38pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: Chocolate Truffles

My dad's favourite artery-clogging recipe for you...hee hee...it's fantastic though!

Baileys irish cream truffles:
12 oz Semi-sweet choc morsels
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2  Egg yolks
1/4 cup Baileys irish cream

Melt chocolate, Baileys and heavy cream together over very low heat. Whisk in yolks, one at a time; mixture will thicken. Whisk in butter. Refrigerate overnight, or until firm. With spoon make small balls. Roll in powdered sugar, cocoa, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Oct 04 8:18am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Bailey's Irish Cream, love the stuff. Thanks Stef, the more chocolate the merrier!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 28 Oct 04 9:56am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Bourbon Creme Confections

1 cup finely chopped or ground pecans
1 ounce bourbon
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels or preferred chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
Combine chopped pecans with bourbon and set aside for 15 minutes.
Cream sugar and butter. Add pecan/bourbon mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until well-chilled.
Melt chocolate and shortening in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Using a wooden pick inserted into a ball, dip into melted chocolate, coating well. Place on the waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill until firm. Store in an airtight container.

Almond Candy Jewels

Candy Ingredients:
1/3 cup Butter
2 cups slivered almonds
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup one of the following: Semi-sweet real chocolate chips, Butterscotch or vanilla milk chips, Toffee chips, or Chopped red and green candied cherries
Line large baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
Melt butter in 10 or 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add almonds, sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until sugar and nuts are golden brown (4 to 9 minutes). (Watch closely to prevent burning.) Immediately remove from heat; sprinkle with desired topping above. (DO NOT STIR.)
Working quickly, drop level tablespoonfuls of almond mixture, forming mounds, onto prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm (about 45 minutes). Place individual clusters in paper candy cups or on squares of colored foil. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Makes 30 candies.

Caramelized Almond Toffee: Omit topping.Quickly spread candy mixture in very thin layer onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely (at least 30 minutes). Break into small pieces. Store in airtight container.

Almond Joy Candy
1 1/2 cup butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound (5 1/3 cups) sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups toasted almonds, chopped
2 cups (12-ounces) milk or semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
Melt butter in large saucepan, add milk and vanilla, mixing well. Stir in coconut and almonds and mix well. Press into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm.
Invert pan, peel off paper and cut candy into small squares.
Melt chocolate and shortening in double boiler over simmering water; dip candy pieces in chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and allow to dry at room temperature. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Makes about 4 pounds candy.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 28 Oct 04 4:31pm

figgy

From western autralia
Member since Wed 29 Sep 04

i'm just wondering if you've tried gianduiotto?  sometimes called gianduja?  did you read anything about it in your research??

[if you haven't tried it, have a look in your local italian grocery and get stuck into some, YUUUUUMMM!]

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 29 Oct 04 7:33am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

I've tried Italian chocolates before. I'm not quite sure if they were gianduiotto / gianduja. They sound delicious. I'll definitely go and check them out. There's a great Italian grocery store here in Miami. Thanks for the tip. Is there a recipe to make them?? Or is it a brand choclate? Take care, figgy!

Kind Regards,
Mary In Miami   big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 29 Oct 04 12:36pm

figgy

From western autralia

gianduja is made using only cocoa butter, sugar and ground hazelnuts &/or almonds.  great for dairy allergic-ies and the beautiful soft, smooth creamy texture that you don't usually get in dark chocolate.

if there's a recipe, i'd like to find it!!!!!!  the mixture would make good pretend truffles because the texture is light and lovely.

i wonder how long i'd have to whizz those nuts in my magimix to get them that smooth??  smile

on the topic of choccy + italian, there's a great italian chocolate mousse that's made by blending melted 70% cocoa choccy with meringue and chilling it.  it's divine and also good for dairy free chocoholics.

have a great weekend!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 29 Oct 04 1:17pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Haha figgy...I love the way you expressed that...pretend truffles...you crack me up... 8)
By the way...that chocolate mouse you mentioned there sounds very interesting...do you happen to know how to make it?
Good recipe for truffles for you here by the way Mary...only if you like white chocolate...I'm a purist...I only like the dark stuff but my sister loves this so I make it for her...just made a huge batch for her to give away in school today. It's her last day...she will be taking her Cambridge O Levels next week and she sure sobbed a lot today...actually,so did the rest of her class!  roll

WHITE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT-APRICOT TRUFFLES
(makes 28 truffles)

1 1/4 cups hazelnuts
1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
24 ounces good white chocolate
6 tablespoons heavy cream

On a baking sheet, spread out hazelnuts. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes, or until nuts are light brown and the dark skins are cracked. Remove as much of the skins as possible by rubbing nuts in a terry-cloth towel. Finely chop nuts in a food processor.

In a 1-quart glass container, combine 12 ounces white chocolate, cut up and 6 Tbl heavy cream.

Microwave mixture on MEDIUM (70% power), 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until chocolate is melted and smooth. [You can do this step in a double-boiler if you don't have a microwave.]

Stir into melted chocolate 3/4 Cup of the chopped nuts and 1/4 Cup finely chopped dried apricots.

Cover the mixture and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or until mixture is firm enough to hold its shape. (If mixture gets too hard, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or so, until firm but soft enough to shape.)

Form 28 smooth 1 1/4-inch diameter balls,by rolling 1 Tbl of the mixture between your (clean!) hands.

Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until firm,1 hour or longer.

In a small glass dish, place another 12 ounces white chocolate, cut up.

Microwave on MEDIUM (70% power), 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often,until chocolate is melted, smooth, and warm.

Work quickly so the dipping chocolate does not harden before you are through. If it does, pop it back into the microwave for a few seconds.

Using a fork to 'hold' the truffle (do not 'spear' the truffle.
I found 2 forks worked better for me. Maybe you are not as clumsy as I am), dip the truffles, 1 at a time, into the melted chocolate.
Tap on edge of dish to remove any excess. Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and, before the dipped layer can harden, sprinkle with the remaining chopped nuts.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 29 Oct 04 4:20pm

figgy

From western autralia

hello stefanie it's me again!!

the italian chocolate mousse is one of those recipes i make without a recipe...!?

about 4 egg whites will do one block of lindt 70% cocoa choccy. melt the choc in a bowl over a simmering saucepan of water, allow to cool [this takes about half an hour or more depending on the weather!]. beat the whites to soft peaks then beat in about half a cup of caster sugar until glossy [i use vanilla-ed caster sugar and quantity is dependent on your sweet toof]  add choccy to whites when it's room temperature. refrigerate.

sorry this is not a proper recipe, but trust me, however much of an experiment it is, there is no way this can go wrong enough to stop you licking the beaters and bowl!!!!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 30 Oct 04 3:44am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Grazie!....for the recipes. The dairy free is a nice adjunct. My Mom is allergic to dairy products, so it's always nice to find an alternative. The mousse sounds decadent as well. Look forward to trying them. Hope all is well on your side of the world. If there is more where that came from, please bring it on. Take care!

Kind Regards,
Mary In Miami  big_smile

Likes (0)