forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 16 Apr 09 10:49pm

Goonyman

Member since Tue 31 Mar 09

Beef Brisket

Welli ts my 1st post so here goes i brought a 3.98kg of beef brisket and ive had it on for 3 hours 45 mins probably 4 hours actually on about 200 ive took it out and its buggered how do i cook the bloody thing please i just want a simple recipe plain and simple that would work every time i have a slow cooker aswelll if anyones got a recipe for that .Lamb can cook too perfection but beef i just want too know the secrets of it melting in your mouth please help a frustrated man

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 16 Apr 09 11:15pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Beef Brisket

Brisket needs a long, long soak (up to a week) in a vinegar and/or wine based marinade to break down that otherwise tough connective tissue.  Try wine or cider vinegar, olive oil, bay leaves, juniper berries, a bit of salt and black pepper and thyme, rosemary or whatever your taste is in herbs.  Turn it every day, keep it covered in the fridge and roast it slowly it next Thursday.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 16 Apr 09 11:31pm

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Seriously, brisket is the hardest beef to cook.  At BBQ competitions this is what separates the men from the boys.  You might want to learn on something easier. 

Use your slow cooker!  That's an easy way to melt in your mouth beef.  You can use this recipe on half of your brisket.

Braised Beef Brisket

4-5 pounds brisket (that's half of what you have)
3 medium onions thinly sliced
2 chopped celery ribs
1 cup prepared chili sauce (you could use ketchup and chili powder)
1 bottle of beer (important for tenderizing)
1/2 cup water
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Put the brisket, onions and celery into the slow cooker.  Mix everything else up and pour it on top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.  I like to brown my meat in a skillet before I add it to the slow cooker but you don't have to.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 16 Apr 09 11:38pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

beef brisket cooked in a slow cooker is delicous and is easy to prepare...just brown the meat first in some olive oil then place in the cooker...using the same pan, fry some sliced onions and garlic till soft then add a little tomato puree (paste), some tinned tomatoes (just a few) , a large glass of red wine, some beef stock and some rosemary and thyme(season with salt and black pepper).....heat the mixture till it boils , then pour over the meat (you don't want the joint to be swimming in sauce, about half way up is ample)... add some whole, peeled potatoes to the pot then cook on the lowest setting for at least 8 hours.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 27 Apr 09 5:03pm

Goonyman

Member since Tue 31 Mar 09

Well thank you very much indeed i shall try and let you know the result :-)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 28 Apr 09 2:13pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Brisket needs a very slow long braise to break down and not be tough.  4-5 hours was just the beginning of your roast.

We do an overnight roast.  I marinade in wine for a few hours, then chop up onions and garlics in to the roasting pan, cover with foil and put it in the oven at 140-150C before I go to bed.  The next morning you take it out and let it rest.  When it comes to room temperature wrap it up and place in the fridge.  When you're ready to serve heat it up again and it will be moist and juicy.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 07 Nov 09 3:58pm

lorybo

Member since Thu 29 Oct 09

8 hours   I cant wait that long..... only joking I am having it tomorrow evening.   Thanks Allora  lolx

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 07 Nov 09 4:12pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Beef brisket can be seasoned with a sweet-savory sauce, wrapped in cooking paper then foil wrapped, and roasted until tender, which will take upto 3 hrs then served with sauteed mushrooms and pearl onions."

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 22 May 10 10:32pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Mmmm...slow cooked brisket for us tomorrow.
Great tips. Thanks! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 23 May 10 1:12am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

That slowcooker recipe sounds very good and I've wondered about cooking brisket for a while but never attempted.  Next time we have a crowd.

Likes (0)