Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 16 Sep 09 12:00pm

PepperP

Occupation Working slave
From Berlin / Germany
Member since Mon 10 Aug 09

Cookies, cakes, buns without eggs?

Hey everyone,

once in a while I have some fun and surprise my coworkers with some selfmade cakes, cinnamon rolls or cookies.
Now we got a collegue that is allergic to eggs. Do you have any suggestions or ideas for some treats without eggs, so we can include her too ? My brain refuses to come with a proper idea right now.

I'd really appreciate a pointer into the right direction.

smile

Last edited by PepperP (Wed 16 Sep 09 12:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 16 Sep 09 12:44pm

jana2

Occupation student
From here & there & everywhere
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Cookies, cakes, buns without eggs?

Hey PepperP,

if she can't eat eggs, then anything "vegan" would work.....or cakes made from a simple yeast dought would work as well (cinnamon rolls you already mentioned).

I'll post some recipes later...

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 16 Sep 09 2:02pm

jana2

Occupation student

Ah, you know what....I just recognized that you are in Berlin....so I presume that you speak German. wink That means: I don't have to translate the recipes, but I can give you the link and you can have a look there on your own. It's better for me because I actually don't have to to do the translations now....(should be studying whistle )
Ok, so here we go: http://community.livejournal.com/suppentopf
On the left corner, somewhere far down, click on "vegan" - there you'll find many vegan recipes.....and among them some cakes/ cookies/ cupcakes....it'll need some time....but the you can choose immediately wheter you like it or not and I would not have done all the translation work in vain, in case you don't like any of the recipes....there are recipes, such as Blueberry Banana Bread, Mangotorte, Marzipan-Schoko-Muffins, Zimtschneckenkuchen, Straciatellakuchen, Chocolate Cherry Creme Cupcakes, Apfel.Mandel-Muffins, Nektarinentarte, Blechkuchen mit Marzipanstreuseln, Vanillekipferl, Spitzbuben, Pistazienkekse and many more.....

Oh, and another thing: A vegan friend told me that you can replace up to 4 eggs in a recipe by using 1 tablespoon of soy flour + 2 tablespoons of water for each egg. That will probably not work for recipes where the egg whites would have to be beaten, but for others, it might work.

P.S. If anyone else would like to have any of the recipes: I could translate them....just ask me, and i'll do it as soon as I'll have enough time, which will not be during the next two weeks, but after that would be ok....)

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 16 Sep 09 2:47pm

PepperP

Occupation Working slave
From Berlin / Germany

Thank you very much, it was a good idea to look for vegan recipes, I haven't thought about that. And yes, I am german, so that link is no problem for me smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 16 Sep 09 3:24pm

jana2

Occupation student

Dann is' ja gut.  smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 16 Sep 09 3:25pm

Bradcarters

Member since Wed 16 Sep 09

i tried using cool whip instead of milk to cook a cake. didn't go so well! lol!

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 16 Sep 09 8:00pm

Johanna_t

From the city on three borders
Member since Wed 26 Aug 09

Hi PepperP, what you can always do is fruit cakes. I have a dough recipe without eggs which was originally for apple pie, but I use it for all kind of fruit cakes. Sounds like this:

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

2/3  butter (better if you use it cold and sliced)

5 tablespoons ice cold water

Mix flour, salt and butter together with your fingertips (or two forks) until the mixture is crumbly.  Add the cold water by sprinkling it all over the flour mixture.  Donít put it all in one spot!  Stir or mix with your hands until the dough comes together into a ball.  Keep it in the fridge until use. You may divide the ball into 2 smaller ones.

Then the difficult part is to make a thin crust. So, sprinkle some extra flour on to the table top.  Press one ball of dough into a thick pancake with your hands.  Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough from the center out to the edges.  If you donít have a rolling pin, a smooth sided glass or mug will work (I used an empty wine bottle).  The goal is to make a thin sheet of crust with no holes.  Carefully lift this sheet and place in your pie pan.

The filling you can make it as you wish.

Cheers smile

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 16 Sep 09 8:02pm

Johanna_t

From the city on three borders
Member since Wed 26 Aug 09

oh, and check also www.chefkoch.de and also www.daskochrezept.de. You'll find for sure some recipes without eggs.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 16 Sep 09 9:12pm

PepperP

Occupation Working slave
From Berlin / Germany

Lots of ideas and sources, I better start looking around smile
Thank you very much!

Likes (0)