forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 01 Feb 11 3:27pm

mailmannz

Member since Tue 02 Jun 09

Which Magimix?

Right people...the good old contents insurance came through for a TV that fell off the wall a few weeks ago (dont ask!), and Ive been hankering after a magimix food processor for quite some time.

So my question is...what is the difference between the ones listed on the Comet website (as thats where the replacement card is for).

They list the following;

Magimix 18526 for 219 (has a 1100w motor and 3.7l bowl)
Magimix 18428 for 223 (has 950w motor and 3l bowl)
Magimix 4200XL for 234
Magimix 5200XL for 299
Magimix 5200 296 (satin)

So as far as I can tell the 18526 is the same as the 5200 and the 18428 is the same as the 4200!

BUT...what is the difference between the first two and the two last three?

Im partial on the 4200XL, but is it worth going for the 18526 instead? And really, what is the real difference between the 4200 and the 4200XL? Is it really just the pouring tube being wider or something?

Any help will be most appreciated smile

Regards

Mailman

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 01 Feb 11 6:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Which Magimix?

The 5200 is the larger capacity machine, it has a few different sized bowls that can be used in the main machine bowl. ( This is the model that I have )

The 5200XL has a slightly different lid with a wider funnel ( so I am told ) .

I presume that this is also the case for the 4200XL. I think that we just bought a 4200 for my daughter as a Christmas / Birthday gift.

Basically , as far as I know, that larger capacity machines have a larger model number.

I  have the 5200 and I use it a great deal, but whichever you decide...leave it on the work surface, it does not take a great deal of room and if its out ...you will use it loads, if its stuck in a cupboard you won't use it as much.
I use mine to make pasta ( sorry Grandmadamada and Alice ) I use it loads for grating ..the parmasan disc is fab , it grated chocolate as well.
I always make pastry in the Magimix.
etc etc etc..
Can't manage without it !

My advice is... go into another shop that sells the Magimix range, have a good look at each model and see which would suit you best capacity wise .

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 02 Feb 11 8:19am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I agree with mummza, especially about leaving it out on the side.  I use mine so much more now it's not tucked away in a cupboard.

I would also agree about going to look at them in a shop.  Personally I'd go into John Lewis, as the staff there always seem to be very clued up and can normally explain any differences in models, and they normally will match the cheapest price for you, which can't be bad!  Good luck thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Feb 11 2:50pm

mailmannz

Well in the end after looking at the mixers I ended up going with the 5200, which was also cheaper than the 4200 for some reason?

I figure Ill also splash out and get the 5200XL lid, plunger thingy and disk riser, which still saves me around 50 over going for the XL from the start smile

I figured that what I wanted it for, veges and baking for large groups that the 5200 would suit better than the 4200.

Regards

Mailman

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 04 Feb 11 4:35pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No dont buy the xl lid and plunger as it won't work together with the Magimix that you have bought.
I checked this out with Magimix .
(I have no idea why it won't work )

The 5200 that you bought was probably cheaper than the 4200 as it's in a different finish .
My guess is your 5200 has a White finish and the 4200 had a Crome finish.
(Chrome finish is quite a lot more expensive ).

I can't manage without my Magimix , I use it loads .

Last edited by mummza (Sat 05 Feb 11 10:34am)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 04 Feb 11 4:40pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

So do I mummza, it saves so much time, and I've used all of the attachments at one time or other!

Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 05 Feb 11 12:19am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Have fun Mailman! What are you going to make first? smile

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 14 Feb 11 11:24pm

mailmannz

Well, the first thing I made was play dough for the kids. Took all of 30 seconds! big_smile

Honestly, I cant believe Ive lived this long without it!

Ive used it for things ranging from pesto for our salad on the weekend through to pastry and cakes and am loving the new toy.

Regards

Mailman

Likes (0)