forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Feb 08 8:32pm

Shopper Dad

Occupation Desk job by day, keeper of the pantry by night
From NJ, USA
Member since Wed 23 Jan 08

What is 'brown sauce'?

Watched Jamie at Home today - his 'Eggs' show. I like his recipe for Breakfast Eggy Crumpets (the recipe is on a UK website, channel4.com, at tinyurl.com/25zn3o) -- but what is this 'brown sauce' he likes to serve it with?

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Feb 08 9:10pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: What is 'brown sauce'?

Hi Shopper Dad -

HP Sauce is the one Jamie serves with the Eggy Crumpets.  Read all about it.......

http://www.hpsauce.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 455565.stm

I'm sure there's a bottle of HP sauce in every home in the UK and further afield.  You should be able to buy it in the US, but at a price!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Feb 08 11:11pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

HP sauce is the classic British brown sauce.

There are others - Daddy's, Hammond's Chop, Branston's Fruity and many more.

HP is the "original" - and, IMNSHO best smile

Ingredients:-
Malt Vinegar, Tomatoes, Molasses, Spirit Vinegar, Dates, Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Salt, Modified Starch, Rye Flour, Tamarinds, Spices, Onion.

No Artificial Colours
No Artificial Preservatives
No Artificial Flavours
Low in Fat
Suitable for Vegetarians

What more could you ask smile

Last edited by GeoffP (Sat 09 Feb 08 11:13pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 10 Feb 08 2:31am

Tarogato

Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

HP sauce sounds very much like A1 sauce here in the US. Thank you, Tanya, for the 2 links you gave us.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Feb 08 2:45am

Shopper Dad

Occupation Desk job by day, keeper of the pantry by night
From NJ, USA
Member since Wed 23 Jan 08

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I've seen HP Sauce in US import stores but never tried it. The analog here is A1 Sauce, which I've never cared much for.  I also found this site: http://www.brownsauce.org/

Perhaps I'll try a bottle of HP. Or is Branston's as good? And until I can find a bottle, would anyone care to venture how they compare to A1?

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 10 Feb 08 3:24am

ksera82

From United States
Member since Sun 03 Feb 08

Interesting question - like you, Shopper Dad, I had no idea what brown sauce was until I visited the UK.....and I have to admit that I still haven't converted to putting it on my eggs.  But Jamie's show this morning has me curious.  When I did try it once in the UK, I thought that it masked the flavor of the eggs - but if Jamie likes it, I'm willing to give it another whirl!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 10 Feb 08 6:10am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Shopper dad,
HP ad A1 are very similar in taste. There is not a lot of difference. The more generic name is BBQ sauce in Australia.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Feb 08 5:36pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

HP sauce in America is not the same as HP sauce in the UK. Compare the ingredients:-

HP Sauce Ingredients (Birmingham variety): Malt Vinegar (from barley), Tomatoes, Molasses, Spirit Vinegar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Dates, Sugar, Salt, Modified Maize Starch, Rye Flour, Tamarind Extract, Spices, Onion Extract.

HP Sauce Ingredients (USA Variety): Water, Vinegar, Dates, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Molasses, Tomato Paste, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Orange Juice Concentrate, Onions, Spices, Tamarind Concentrate, Apple Juice Concentrate, Garlic, Chili Peppers, Mustard Flour.

A1 sauce us like neither:-
INGREDIENTS:
TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), DISTILLED VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, RAISIN PASTE, SPICES AND HERBS, CRUSHED ORANGE PEEL, DRIED GARLIC AND ONION, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

All quite different

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Feb 08 11:34pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

No need to shout Geoff.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 11 Feb 08 6:02pm

Bento

Member since Fri 11 Jan 08

Brown sauce is not essential to enjoy eggs - I love tomato sauce with mine.

Also, I don't know if it would work with crumpets, but it does with fried eggs - oyster sauce! Don't knock it till you tried it, it's blimming fantastic with red chillies and chopped spring onion on the top of a couple of fried eggs. yummy

Likes (0)