forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 27 Apr 08 10:18pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Looking for recipe: stem ginger cookies

Was given some stem ginger cookies/biscuit from England last year, and they were fantastic. Since then I have been trying to find a recipe for a similar cookie/biscuit, but either the texture or flavor (or both) were just wrong.

It was a round cookie. The texture was similar to short bread, but not quite so buttery maybe. It was sweet, but the sugar was not overpowering. The ginger flavor was nice and strong, but not biting.

Any tried and tested recipes welcome!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 28 Apr 08 12:02pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Looking for recipe: stem ginger cookies

This may be something like them:-

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/585408

Scottish Ginger Shortbread

Ingredients
175g plain flour
75g caster sugar
175g butter, at room temperature
75g Semolina
1 tsp ground ginger
4 pieces stem ginger, cut into pieces about the size of a raisin
1 tbsp demerara sugar

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3. Grease a 20cm sandwich tin.

2. Put the flour, caster sugar, butter, semolina and ground ginger into a food processor and process until the mixture is thoroughly combined and comes together to form a dough. This can also be done by hand, rubbing the butter into the flour first, then adding the sugar and semolina and working the ingredients together to form a ball of mixture.

3. Press half the shortbread mixture into the tin and level with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over the ginger pieces and press the remaining mixture over the ginger. Level the surface with the back of a spoon.

4. Sprinkle the top with the demerara sugar and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the shortbread is a pale, golden colour.

5. Allow the shortbread to cool in the tin for a few minutes then cut into 12 even wedges. Once cold, carefully lift out of the tin onto a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 28 Apr 08 12:31pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

As soon as my sinuses allow me to taste anything again I will try those. They sound a lot closer than anything I was able to dig out so far.
Thanks!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 28 Apr 08 2:12pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

If the biscuits you had were chewy try to find a recipe that uses brown sugar, even better if it is melted with the butter.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 28 Apr 08 3:11pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

No, they were not chewy.
They were rather crumbly/short.
They were store bought (in England), so judging from what store bought shortbread is like I'd say they were only a little less buttery but very similar otherwise.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 07 May 08 8:36am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Stem ginger biscuits

4 oz (approx 100 g) butter
2 tablespoons (2 x 15 ml spoons) golden syrup
1 oz (approx 25 g) sugar
2 oz (approx 50 g) stem ginger
6 oz (approx 150 g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon (1 x 5 ml spoon) ground ginger

Chop the stem ginger into small pieces (about half the size of a raisin, or whatever size you prefer).
Put the butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the flour, ground ginger and chopped stem ginger. Mix thoroughly. It should form a soft dough that leaves the sides of the pan clean.
Put teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased baking tray, spaced about 1 inch (approx 2-3 cm) apart to allow room for the biscuits to spread as they cook. I usually get about 30 biscuits out of the quantities given, but you can make the biscuits larger or smaller according to taste.
Bake at about 180 C (approx 375 F) for about 15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and set.
Remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight tin. If they get the chance, they keep for up to 2 weeks.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 May 08 10:25pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

The shortbread is in the oven. (just omitted the demerara sugar).  whistle

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 May 08 12:13am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

All right, here is my critique:
a) next time I would use another basic short bread recipe without semolina
b) I think I would add 5 bits of stem ginger and put them directly in the pastry
c) I might just add a little bit of grated lemon zest

But the overall impression is that it is quite nice yummy whistle

Likes (0)