Wild strawberry slice
An elegant spin on the classic custard slice, left ‘open’ to display the beautiful summer berries.
- 320g sheet of puff pastry
- 50g icing sugar, plus extra to serve
- 2 x 200g punnets of strawberries, hulled and halved, larger ones quartered
- 200g punnet of wild strawberries (see note)
- Edible wild flowers, to decorate (optional)
- 80g golden caster sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 25g custard powder
- 225ml milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- About 50g icing sugar
- About 15ml lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Put the pastry on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Prick all over with a fork, cover with a sheet of baking paper and weigh it down with a heavy baking tray. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the weight, dust the pastry with the icing sugar, then bake again until it’s shiny and the sugar caramelises, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool, then trim the long edges.
- For the pastry cream, whisk sugar, yolks and custard until smooth. In a pan, bring the milk, half the cream, and vanilla pod and seeds to the boil. Off the heat, slowly whisk a third into the yolk mixture, until smooth. Whisk in the remaining two-thirds of mixture.
- Return to the heat (discard the pod) and cook – whisking quickly, to prevent it from catching – until bubbling and thickened. Push it through a fine sieve into a plastic container, put some cling film on the surface, to avoid a skin forming, and chill for 2–3 hours (you can make the pastry cream a couple of days ahead).
- For the icing, whisk the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, adding more of one if needed, until thick but pourable.
- Beat the pastry cream until smooth. Whisk the remaining cream to medium peaks and fold that in.
- Spread the pastry cream over the pastry base, then stud with both types of strawberry. Finish with a drizzle of the icing and a dusting of icing sugar. Decorate with edible flowers, if using, then slice and serve.
Note: You can buy wild strawberries from finefoodspecialist.co.uk.
Per serving 383 cals, 21g fat (10.9g sat fats), 6.3g protein, 51.6g carbs, 27.3g sugars