Chopped salads are incredibly simple to prepare. Anyone can make them – just make sure you use a good, sharp chef’s knife and your biggest chopping board – and watch your fingers!
1. It’s best to start chopping the harder, crunchier veg first – trim the ends off the spring onions and cucumber on a large chopping board, then roughly chop them.
2. Pick and roughly chop the basil leaves, discarding the stalks, and bring to the middle of the board along with the spring onions and cucumber and continue chopping and mixing everything together as you go.
3. Carefully cut all the way around each avocado lengthways, going as deep as the stones.
4. Hold each avocado in your hands and twist until you can pull the two halves apart.
5. Pull out and discard the stones from the centres – you can use a teaspoon to help you scoop it out, then scoop the flesh onto the board.
6. Use scissors to snip over the cress, then continue chopping everything together, bringing the ingredients back into the middle every now and then.
7. Once everything is chopped, you’ll have a big mound of salad on the board – make a well in the middle and add the extra virgin olive oil.
8. Cut the lemon in half.
9. Squeeze over the juice, using your fingers to catch any pips.
10. Add a tiny pinch of salt and pepper, and toss together so everything is nicely coated, then serve.