All hail the king of comfort food! When days are cold and nights are long, nothing hits the spot quite like a beautiful jacket potato. Crisp and golden on the outside, fluffy and soft on the inside, they’re the perfect vehicle for all sorts of tasty fillings.
And the best bit? The oven does most of the work for you. So, whether you’re after a comforting lunch or a warming dinner-for-one, check out our guide on the best way to cook a jacket potato, choose your favourite filling, and curl up with a plate of potato heaven.
How to cook a baked potato
You will need:
1 medium-sized baking potato (120 to 170g total)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Wash and scrub the potato and dry with a clean tea towel – dry skin will ensure it’ll be crispy once baked.
- Rub with olive oil (oil also helps the skin go golden) and season with sea salt, then use a fork to pierce it six times, all around the potato.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour to 1¼ hours, until the potato is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Transfer to a board and cut open straight away – if you let the potato sit after baking, the interior will steam and the potato can become soggy and heavy.
- Top with your favourite filling, or check out our ideas below for some inspiration.
TIP: If you’re baking more than one potato, make sure they are all approximately the same size, so they cook at the same time.
4 fabulous filling ideas
TUNA MAYO TWIST
Upgrade your classic tuna mayo by stirring through quartered cherry tomatoes and finely sliced spring onion, pile into your potato and finish with a handful of rocket.
HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS & CHEESE
Roughly chop a garlic clove and fresh red chilli, and add to a saucepan with a tin of cannellini beans, plum tomatoes, smoked paprika and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir and simmer until thickened. Spoon over your potato and add a sprinkling of grated Cheddar cheese.
Grate up a colourful mix of red cabbage, carrot, apple, red onion and gherkins and dress with a splash of the gherkin juice, extra virgin olive oil and your choice of soft herbs, then use it to top your potato. Crumble over feta cheese and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts for extra crunch.
CARAMELISED RED ONION & BACON
Roughly chop smoked streaky bacon and fry off with thinly sliced red onion and a handful of fresh thyme sprigs. Stir through a handful of baby spinach leaves, then pile into your potato with a spoonful of natural yoghurt.
And the fun doesn’t have to stop there! If these tasty jacket potato fillings have got you in the mood, check out our loaded potato skins for more inspiration.