Beef tacos are super-easy to make, requiring more of an assembly job than a recipe, which makes them an ideal grown-up/kid joint project. There’s a bit of slicing and dicing to be done, but still plenty that even the young ones can help out with.
Using our beef taco recipe and following the steps below you’ll be able to construct the perfect tacos, every time and once you’ve got the basics, you can get as creative as you like.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Peel and finely dice the onion, trim and finely chop the peppers, and peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Place a large pan over a low heat, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of oil then slowly soften the onion and peppers in the pan. Add the garlic, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and stir until it has browned.
- Pour in the stock, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the salsa, roughly chop the tomatoes, finely slice the spring onions and pick and roughly chop the coriander leaves.
- Get the kids to mix these together in a bowl with the lime juice then season carefully to taste.
- For the guacamole, halve and de-stone the avocados, then have the kids mash them with a fork. They can then squeeze in the lime juice, add the crème fraîche, season, and gently mix it all up.
- Spread the taco shells out on a baking tray and place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until crisp. Get the kids to fill the shells with the meat, salsa and guacamole or lay everything out and let everyone help themselves.
Enjoy! Delicious served with grated cheese and shredded cabbage, too.
And if you’re looking for more taco inspiration why not try our Tasty fish tacos, Ultimate pork tacos or push the boat out with these unusual haggis tacos.