Who can resist a bit of eggy bread for brekkie? Whether you like it sweet or savoury you can’t beat classic French toast for quick and easy comfort food.
Get the kids involved and introduce them to new ingredients, equipment and skills. Plus, everyone can tuck in straight from the frying pan. You can’t beat it!
This recipe shows you how to make French toast with a classic recipe topped with yoghurt and fresh berries, but you can mix it up with whatever you fancy. It’s totally versatile, so make it yours.
2 large free-range eggs
optional: sea salt
optional: freshly ground black pepper
2 slices of bread
unsalted butter or olive oil
Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
1 handful of fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries), to serve
maple syrup, to serve
shallow, wide bowl
non-stick frying pan
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, then add a splash of milk.
- Add a few drips of vanilla extract and a pinch of cinnamon (or a bit of salt and pepper if you’re going savoury) and whisk the eggs with a fork.
- Soak slices of bread in the egg mixture for a couple of minutes, turning halfway.
- Melt a knob of butter in a hot frying pan, then add the bread. Cook for a few minutes, without moving the bread, until golden.
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the bread over and cook until golden on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and top with yoghurt, fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
What to have with French toast?
The options are endless, but here are some of our fave combos:
- Crispy bacon and maple syrup
- Banana and Nutella
- Poached apple slices with cinnamon
- Pan-fried mushrooms and avocado
Or try these other recipes: