Thoughtful edible gifts don’t have to break the bank or require hours in the kitchen. These amazing peppermint creams are ridiculously easy to make and inexpensive, too, making them the perfect last-minute Christmas gift.
They don’t need to go anywhere near the oven, and they can be cut into all sorts of different shapes, so it’s a great recipe for getting kids involved in the Christmas gift production line.
This Jamie magazine recipe makes 22-25 peppermint creams. Find the full ingredient list here, and follow our step-by-step instructions to learn how to make peppermint creams – a delicious edible gift you won’t want to part with!
- Lightly beat one egg white in a clean, dry bowl until it starts to foam.
- Squeeze in a drop of lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in 400g of icing sugar.
- And add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Bring it together with a wooden spoon. When it gets too tough to stir, bring the mixture together with your hands.
- Transfer the mixture onto a surface dusted with icing sugar.
- Roll it out to 2cm thick.
- Use a pastry cutter (traditionally a 3.5cm circle) to cut out the peppermint creams, before popping them on a tray dusted in icing sugar to dry out overnight.
- If you are feeling extra indulgent, try dipping one half in melted chocolate and leaving it to set.