If you’re celebrating Shrove Tuesday this year, make it easier for yourself with our foolproof step-by-step guide to delicious, crêpe-style pancakes.
Treat this classic Pancake Day recipe as a blank canvas to add your favourite toppings to, or if you’re feeling adventurous, tweak the batter with different flours – swapping in wholemeal will give you a nuttier flavour, or use self-raising for thicker, fluffier American-style pancakes.
Pancake Day is a great excuse to rustle up a batch of your favourites! Classic lemon and sugar is great, but fresh fruit, thick and creamy Greek yoghurt, and even peas and Parmesan cheese all make great fillings. So, get flipping!
EASY CRÊPE-STYLE PANCAKES
- Place 125g of plain flour and 1 pinch of sea salt into a large bowl
- Crack in 3 large free-range eggs and pour in 250ml of milk
- Whisk well until you get a smooth batter, or alternatively blitz it all in a liquidiser. Leave to one side for 15 minutes
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, rub a knob of butter around the pan so it melts
- Pour in 1 ladle of the batter
- Lift the pan off of the heat and tilt it so that the batter spreads all over the base
- Place the pan back on the heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the batter starts to come away from the sides and you can remove it easily from the pan
- Once golden underneath, flip the crêpe over and cook for a further minute until cooked through
Serve straightaway with your favourite topping, or stack your pancakes on a plate and keep warm in a low oven until you’re ready to tuck in.