Celebrate the glorious apricot season with this quick and easy method to prepare a glut of these sweet summer fruits. With just 30 minutes and a little bit of love, these juicy little fruits will turn soft, syrupy and unctuous, and bring a ray of sunshine to your plate.
You can enjoy them as they are with yoghurt or ice cream, turn them into a delicious breakfast or dessert, or even a summer cocktail!
Simple baked apricots
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
1kg ripe apricots
1 vanilla pod
2 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- Preheat the oven 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Halve and destone the apricots, then lay them in a snug-fitting roasting tray.
- Halve the vanilla pod, scrape the seeds into the tray and throw in the pod.
- Use a speed peeler to zest in 1 orange, then squeeze in the juice from both oranges.
- Sprinkle over the sugar, add a splash of water and toss everything together.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until soft and syrupy. Leave to cool. They will keep covered in the fridge for a couple of days.
Place your favourite granola in a bowl, top with Greek-style yoghurt and place a couple of apricots on top. Drizzle with a little of the cooking syrup and top with toasted coconut flakes, if you like.
Whip some ricotta and spread over a slice of toast. Place a few apricots on top, drizzle with a little of the cooking syrup and scatter with some fresh thyme leaves.
Mash an apricot or two with a fork, then push through a fine sieve until you have a smooth purée. Spoon into a cocktail glass and top up with Prosecco or cava for a beautiful bellini.
If that’s got you feeling fruity, check out more fruit recipes.