FOR PESTO, OLIVE & CHEDDAR TWISTER BREAD:
1. Taking your dough after Step 6, on a flour-dusted surface, use a rolling pin to roll out half of the dough to about the size of a small tea towel.
2. Spread some pesto – whatever you’ve got – all over the surface.
3. Now squash, destone and tear over the flesh of a few olives.
4. Coarsely grate or break over a few chunks of cheese (see below for swaps).
5. Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll, wrapping all those fillings inside, then with a sharp knife cut into eight chunks. Place the pieces close together, swirl-side up, in an ovenproof pan or on an oiled baking tray, and leave to prove again as per step 7 above, then follow the remaining steps.
– I would normally use mozzarella for a bread like this, but really it’s worth trying it with other cheeses. Use what you’ve got and see where you end up.
– Feel free to experiment with different combos. How about smoked ham, grated cheese and a little tomato? Spinach, feta and pine nuts? Or jarred peppers blitzed into a paste with garlic and nuts?
– You could easily make a sweet twister bread. Think jam, or honey and raisins, or chocolate spread and mashed bananas. What will you make?