Golden crispy breadcrumbs
Sides of salmon are often on offer in the supermarket – it’s simply one of the realities of the fish farming industry that, due to variations in supply and demand, there’ll be surpluses. So when you see salmon on offer, take advantage of that great value!
ON THE SIDE
– Super-tasty served with oven-baked potato wedges and salad or steamed veg, or stuffed into a wholemeal bap with a spoonful of smashed peas and a dollop of tartare sauce.
– You can apply this breadcrumbing principle to other fresh or frozen fish (if using frozen, don’t refreeze, cook right away), prawns, chicken and veg.
– I’ve made fresh breadcrumbs here, but if you have stale ones feel free to use them, whatever you have to hand.
BOOST YOUR BREADCRUMBS
– Try blitzing garlic and fresh or dried herbs like rosemary, oregano or thyme into your crumbs.
– Finely grating in a little lemon zest will add a lovely fresh flavour.
– A small handful of porridge oats will add great texture.
– Chuck in some nuts for extra nutritional benefit, think almonds, cashews or pine nuts.
– A couple of anchovy fillets would be delicious.
– Add a sprinkling of dried red chilli flakes if you like a bit of heat.