Quinoa is a brilliant, tasty grain, packed with both protein and fibre – and it’s also gluten-free.
Follow our simple step-by-step guide to learn how to cook quinoa. Dress simply while still hot with lime or lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and a little sea salt and black pepper, and you’ve got the foundations for a delicious meal. Nutty and fluffy, it’s a great alternative to rice, served with chicken or fish, or livened up with simple, fresh ingredients to make a satisfying salad.
But with so many different grains out there, each with their own cooking method, it can be confusing to know how to cook quinoa properly for ultimate flavour and texture. Never fear, we’ve got you covered! Follow our easy step-by-step guide below, then check out this quinoa, feta & broad bean salad recipe to turn it into a delicious lunch.
HOW TO COOK QUINOA
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water to remove its bitter flavour
- Tip into a pan and add double the amount of salted water
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed
- Fluff it up with a fork, then pimp it
Got leftovers? Cold, leftover quinoa is a brilliant filler in nut roasts or veggie burgers, too. Or, use it as a base for roasted veggies, or simply grilled fish or chicken thighs. Yum!
Now that you’ve mastered how to make quinoa, put your skills to the test with this delicious Superfood salad: