Cheesecake is one of those beautiful recipes that has a bit of festive wow factor, but is also incredibly easy to make. Winner!
Plus, you can make it a day ahead and leave it in the fridge right up until you want to serve – it’s the ultimate hosting pud.
BLOOMIN’ EASY VANILLA CHEESECAKE
- 150g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 115g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 900g half-fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 115ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4, and grease and line the bottom and sides of a 24cm springform cake tin.
- Melt the butter, and crush the biscuits, then mix together in a bowl. Lightly press into the base of the prepared tin and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Turn the oven up to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Combine the sugar and cornflour in a bowl, add the cream cheese and beat, ideally with an electric whisk, until creamy.
- Crack in the eggs and beat well, then gradually add the cream, beating until smooth.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, then scrape out the seeds and add to the bowl (if using), or add the vanilla extract, then finely grate in the lemon and orange zest
- Scrape the mixture on to the biscuit base, and gently shake to level out the surface.
- Bake the cheesecake in the centre of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling has set around the edges (cover with a piece of tin foil, if browning too much).
- Let it cool at room temperature and serve after 2 or 3 hours, or, for a slightly firmer texture, place it in the fridge until it’s nice and cold.
Your cheesecake will keep for two to three days, covered in the fridge. You can also wrap it tightly with clingfilm and freeze – simply allow the cheesecake to defrost to room temperature when you need it. (Check out more freezer-friendly tips in this feature.)
If you’d rather go down the vegan route, The Happy Pear have a delicious vegan, and refined sugar-free recipe for you to try:
Discover Jamie’s ultimate recipes for all the festive classics in Jamie Oliver’s Christmas Cookbook, on sale now. And take a look at our Christmas hub for ideas for everything from cocktails and edible gifts, to special diet recipes and tasty leftovers.