With tangy corn & pineapple salsa
– I’ve used minced beef here, but minced pork would also be delicious, as would a mixture of the two.
– My wife doesn’t like onions, so I’ve used leeks here, but by all means use white or red onions, or even use shallots or spring onions.
– The lentils are optional, but they’re great for upping your veg count. Feel free to swap in drained tinned beans instead – just scrunch them with clean hands first to break them up a bit.
– When it comes to herbs for your burgers, any soft ones will be delicious; parsley, mint, marjoram, chervil, tarragon, or you could even use rosemary or thyme.
– For the salsa, it’s fine to use tinned or frozen sweetcorn, and you could swap in jarred peppers if you don’t have fresh. Carrot or cucumber would add a nice bit of crunch, and the pineapple could be tinned, or it could be peach, apple or pear.
– You need acidity for the salsa, so vinegar, lemon or lime juice are all good, or use a mixture.
– If you’ve got any bacon to use up, finely chop a rasher and fry it off with the leeks and carrots for added flavour.
– Once you’ve shaped your patties, feel free to wrap and pop some in the freezer for another day.
– You could use some of the burger mixture to make meatballs, to serve with a tomato sauce and spaghetti, or even use it for a meatloaf, ready to roast.