Ultimate bacon croutons & creamy dressing
- You can use olive oil instead of rapeseed oil, if you like.
- I’ve used a whole chicken, but if you have pieces that’s no problem at all, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- On the dressing, of course you could use Dijon mustard instead of wholegrain.
- Anchovies are classic in a Caesar dressing, so by all means use those instead of the sardine fillet, or you could even flake in a bit of smoked mackerel or tinned tuna.
- Use finely grated Parmesan instead of Cheddar, if you’ve got it.
- On the lettuce front, crunchy romaine is always a delight and what you’d traditionally find in a Caesar, but feel free to use what you’ve got.
- I’m using sourdough here, but you can use whatever bread you like.
- If you don’t have a salad spinner, don’t worry. Give your leaves a good wash, then simply pile them on a clean tea towel, pull up the corners, and swing that parcel about till the leaves are dry.