Brunch lovers, this one’s for you! Make your own crispy, crunchy hash browns and you’ll never look back.
This homemade hash brown recipe is really simple; it’s a ratio recipe, so you can easily make more or less, depending on how many people you’re cooking for. It’s just a potato, an onion, a tablespoon of plain flour and an egg. So simple!
2 large potatoes
2 tablespoons plain flour
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large free-range eggs
large mixing bowl
clean tea towel
large non-stick frying pan
- Scrub the potatoes and coarsely grate on a box grater (there’s no need to peel them).
- Peel and finely slice the onions.
- Transfer the potato and onion to a bowl lined with a clean tea towel.
- Gather up the edges of the tea towel, twist, then squeeze out as much excess liquid as you can.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the flour and season well with salt and pepper.
- Now crack in the eggs.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon, until the egg is fully combined.
- Put a large non-stick frying pan on the heat, and once hot add olive oil and spoonfuls of the mixture, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes, without moving, until a golden crust has formed, then turn each one over.
- Continue to cook until golden brown and cooked through, then transfer to kitchen paper to drain before serving up.
What to eat with hash browns?
A full English! But you can mix them up with other combos if you like. Try:
- Roasted cherry tomatoes, crispy smoked bacon and a poached egg
- Baked beans and a fried egg
- Avocado, fried mushrooms and sautéed spinach