Featuring the often misunderstood tequila, the classic margarita cocktail is the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot summer’s day, or sip ahead of a barbecue.
Bold and zingy in flavour, it strikes the perfect balance between sweet and sour, thanks to the combination of orange liqueur and fresh lime juice. Once you’ve given your cocktail a good shake, don’t forget to run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass, then dip it into salt for the perfect finishing touch. Cheers!
HOW TO MAKE A MARGARITA
1 part Cazadores tequila
½ part triple sec liqueur
1 whole lime
- Start by chilling your glass – the easiest way is to fill it with ice, or if you’re super organised, pop it into the freezer 30 minutes before you need it.
- Fill the jug of a cocktail shaker with ice, then pour in the tequila and triple sec.
- Squeeze in the lime juice, pop on the top part of your shaker, then shake hard for about 30 seconds to mix it all together and chill the liquid really well.
- Run a lime wedge around the outside of the rim of your glass before rolling the rim in a little fine sea salt.
- Double strain the cocktail mixture into your glass, and enjoy.
If you want to learn how to rim a glass to impress your friends, Joe McCanta is here to show you how:
For more tequila-based inspiration, check out Simone Caporale whip up a delightfully fruity tequila sunrise.