Leek, broccoli & spinach, toasted almond topping
– Support our British cheeses! Use Mrs Kirkham’s Lancashire in place of the Cheddar here. Mrs Kirkham’s is one of the best cheeses around for melting – sprinkle on top of a baked gratin dish like this to take it to the next level.
– You could use 2 onions instead of the leek.
– Switch out the spinach for any kind of exciting fresh or frozen greens, discarding the tough stalks.
– Substitute the Parmesan for vegetarian hard cheese.
BOOST YOUR BREADCRUMBS
I sometimes add breadcrumbs to the top for bonus crunch:
– Try blitzing garlic and fresh or dried herbs, like rosemary, oregano or thyme, into your crumbs.
– Finely grating in a little lemon zest will add a hint of freshness.
– Chuck in some nuts for extra crunch – think almonds, cashews or pine nuts.
– A couple of anchovy fillets would be delicious.
– Add a pinch of dried red chilli flakes if you like some heat.