Wholesome, hearty & flexible
– Don’t waste any of your greens – remove those tougher stalks, finely chop and add them to the base of your soup with the onion, carrot and celery.
– This soup is great for using up odds and ends from your dried pasta packets. Pile whatever you’ve got in a clean tea towel, then give it a good bash so it’s all about the same size.
– When it comes to herbs, use what you’ve got. Rosemary or thyme leaves would be delicious here, or even a sprinkling of dried herbs.
– Add other veg when you’re frying the onions, if you’ve got it, like leek, courgette or potato.
– Use whatever stock you can get your hands on – of course a fresh broth would be delicious, but a humble stock cube will absolutely do the job.
– This is lovely finished with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese, but you could use Cheddar, or a dollop of pesto from a jar.
– Out of pasta? No problem, use rice instead or even hunks of bread, which will soak up all that lovely flavour.