forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#151 Tue 20 Apr 10 2:41am

kiria32

Occupation at home mum
From new zealand
Member since Wed 10 Mar 10

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

Hi there,
I live in New Zealand. There are some good chef schools here. The only one in my town is great, It took me 3 attempts and i still couldnt pass the **** course. Ive got the worst memory ever from alcohol addiction and abuse over the years, and i cant seem to concentrate when it comes to the theory. But I passed all the practicals 100%. Ive been sober for  whole 2 years now and really want to be a chef. im 30 years old, with 3 children, one being 8months old, so i feel that i need to get cracking to get a career but my memory is that bad. im too ashamed to go back to the course and try for a 4th time. im wandering if an apprenticeship would be better. im also worried about the late hours being a chef as im a single mum and have no family, so id be stuffed for someone to watch the kids. does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do? I love cooking so much that I go to sleep planning the next days meals, I read cook books while im in the bath, I talk about food all day, cookings my life. i also love gardening and want to grow my own vege garden. i need some direction crossed

Likes (0)

#152 Tue 20 Apr 10 3:23am

BMFSTAR

Occupation cook/baker/manager for a large heathfood store
From New York State
Member since Tue 02 Mar 10

pay attention and listen . to everything, that is my advice

Likes (0)

#153 Tue 20 Apr 10 3:04pm

Poor Old Al

From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Sun 25 Jun 06

Contact some professionals, similar to ARBIAS here:
http://www.arbias.org.au/
It's a sad but true thing,that old drinkers line about 'destroying a few brain cells.

Likes (0)

#154 Fri 07 May 10 4:29pm

m.reno

Occupation Student
From Lebanon
Member since Mon 03 May 10

hey!
i would really like to become a chef.
unfortunatly, there are several (pastry) recipes that don't work out with me.
is it a lack of "talent" or is it completely normal for a beginner to face such problems?
does jamie have a book for beginners who are really interested in cooking?
PS: im only 15, and i've been cooking for about a year (but the recipes are really basic: several kinds of cakes, pie...)

Last edited by m.reno (Fri 07 May 10 4:32pm)

Likes (0)

#155 Tue 12 Oct 10 8:08am

christiansmith8

Occupation Student
From Mallorca, Spain
Member since Mon 11 Oct 10

Hello,
Im 23 years old and have just decided that ive been interested in cooking for a long time but never had the time to actually decide to do it as a job.
Next year im going to attend to a three year culinary course. Im very excited about it. Im preparing myself for this by taking in as much information as i can by reading recipes, cooking, growing my own herb garden and doing a trip to italy to find out a bit more about the italian traditional food.
If anyone has already done a course in cookery please give me any advice on how to prepare myself for this lifestyle.
Thank you.

Likes (0)

#156 Wed 30 Mar 11 11:03pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

Hm, sounds all very interesting.
Even, that it would be possible when you are older.
Not quite sure though whether it works like this also in my area. Would try to offer to work a day for free at a restaurant nearby for one day. However, I'm not so sure at the moment. A last kick is missing.
However, trying to cook as much as possible sounds good to me as well.
I've been cooking at home for more then 20 years, but somehow I have the feeling I know so little.

Likes (0)

#157 Tue 03 May 11 11:15am

futurechef24

Occupation Student.
From Karachi
Member since Thu 09 Dec 10

it is just so sad when you want to become a chef and there is almost NO support from the people around you. the society you live in only aprreciates being doctors and bankers and you dont have any cooking school near you. sad life i have :P

Likes (0)

#158 Tue 07 Jun 11 1:34am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

the reason Futurechef24 is simple you will need to make money to pay the bills.And there are many many chefs who don't end up like Jamie or a little bit less.But you don't hear about them much because they feel a shame about them self.
Finish your school get as much papers as you can get and then see for your self if you still want to be a chef.
Romantic thinking what is going on on this web page a lot has not to do with a Chefs job , its hard work a lot of strange people and socially sick minded and well a lot of alcoholics.O and don't for get long days hard working and most of the time work when others are off.
Still like it then get it and stop putting time in school :P  wink  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#159 Tue 07 Jun 11 3:12am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

a lot of strange people and socially sick minded and well a lot of alcoholics.

Hmmm, maybe that's why I always liked restaurant work so much lol

Likes (0)

#160 Fri 12 Aug 11 11:19am

musuoka

Member since Wed 03 Aug 11

In the nourishing aspects of eating and drinking, hot days to clear up, spleen, Qu Shu dampness principle. Feiganhouwei and dry and hot products unfit for consumption, but should have a light selection of food Yin German efficiency.

Gan Liang moist food: wheat, sorghum, naked barley, tofu, white beans, black sesame seeds, Potato potato, cabbage, lettuce, Eucheuma, spinach, melon, watermelon, etc. Spleen and stomach, qi Yin foods: spinach, lotus root, wild rice, tomatoes, carrots, eggs, fruit, milk, Syzygium, lotus seeds, mulberry, clams, goose, black carp, crucian carp flowers, silver carp , barley powder.

Qushu dampness, heat and detoxification of the food: green beans, Rohan beans, red bean children, soybeans, raw carrots, eggplant, cabbage, celery, water chestnuts, Coix seed, pickling melon, watermelon, melon, loofah, cucumber , melon, bitter gourd, chrysanthemum, lotus leaf, tea and so on.

Likes (0)