forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 16 Sep 06 7:36pm

butasquashkid

Member since Sat 16 Sep 06

Mums who post pies through school fences

Hi Jamie,
I felt so strongly about this that I thought I'd just drop you a line. I saw on the tv yesterday two dopey mums pushing pies and chips through the fence to their kids and friends. What a disgrace! then to add insult to injury they're also in the paper today. I can't believe that any parent can be so dumb!Howdare they spout class and financial reasons for not appreciating good food. I have 2 children (14 ,12) and am from a working class background and am not financially well off yet my children have an excellent appreciation of sensible eating and nutritional requirements. All I want to really say is don't give up, some of us appreciate your efforts and agree with you 100%.
If you ever need to demonstrate that kids can understand food and learn to eat correctly, give me a call, my kids would put most pie eaters to shame!!
Keep it up
LD

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 16 Sep 06 10:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Mums who post pies through school fences

yes I read something about that..something about their children being denied choice...funny how the media knew that it was happening evil Was is all staged for attention and publicity...I wonder... hmm

Anyway it was a stupid thing to do. sad

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 17 Sep 06 12:09am

MisterP

From Herefordshire, UK
Member since Thu 03 Mar 05

I wholeheartedly agree with you butasquashkid. The problem is that the notion of eating well is just lost on many people. They eat what they think is good for them but in reality they are eating the things that taste 'nice' with no consideration of the provenance of the food or its nutritional value. That is done to pure unadulterated ignorance.
When I watched School Dinners I was amazed at what Jamie Oliver was trying to do. With decades of entrenched positions to fight against and a political system that dealt only in bottom line numbers I completely expected him to fail. Not because I thought he wasn't capable of succeeding but because he was fighting against so many companies with large budgets, vested interests and political connections. To do what he has done is incredible. It also shows just what one person can do with the right momentum and drive. I can't wait for the next series this week.
As for the press that were making up stories to try and rubbish his actions and marriage, well don't buy those sort of papers and with a bit of luck they will realise that we, as a a nation, really don't give a f*** about scandalous gossip mongering and should learn to shut up. Jools must have a difficult time with two great kids and a husband who is dedicated to a career that takes him away from a family he so obviously loves.
Blah blah ebough. Good night.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 17 Sep 06 2:05am

monkermonk

From the jungle
Member since Tue 12 Sep 06

hi

I live about 5 miles from where this is happening, but i am still embarrased by this, these "mum's" seem to think that takeaway food is better, just because the kids will eat it. I suspect that some of these school children whose parents condone this will be eating burgers etc  for their evening meals

when i was younger I hated vedge but I have learned to enjoy many foods which i wouldn't have gone near at one time.

I just wish Jamies school dinners was around when i was younger, the food sounds great!!

Go jamie.... maybe you could bring your ideas to to the workplace next  help

Last edited by monkermonk (Sun 17 Sep 06 2:11am)

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 17 Sep 06 6:50am

crazy cookie

Member since Tue 12 Sep 06

help

These mums need Jamie Oliver to show them just what junk food does to people.

School dinners were started by the Government during the second world war to make sure that the future generation would have at least one hot and healthy meal a day.

Now that school meals are well and truly off the rails isn't it about time that they were stopped?  Just think of all the money us tax payers would save.

My son is no angel but he does know what junk food does to him as we carried out an experiment during the school holidays.

We took a photo of him and wighed him.

He was given healthy breakfast/lunch/tea.  Snacks were limited again to healthy ones.  He only drank fruit juice, water, milk and tea (with no sugar).  Sweet/fatty foods were limited only to cake and pudding (and then they were made as healthy as possible).

At the end of the 6 weeks we weighed him and took another photo.

As luck would have it he is vane and decided he liked the 'new' him, with far less spots, shinier hair and nicer colour skin.

After one week at school we repeated this, he didn't like the spots reappearing pink and ugly.  So illicit sandwich rings and the odd burger bought in by pupils allowed out of school at lunchtimes disappeared (on a voluntary basis).

One week on from that he likes his appearance better (and no doubt his girlfriend does too).

He now is careful what he eats, yes he has the odd treat but he knows and appreciates a choice of where to dine out and what to have for meals.

If other parents were as conciencious our children would have a much better start in life.

If only those mothers in Rochdale were to look at how stupid they and there actions were they would stop what they were doing.

Saints preserve us from these idiots.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 17 Sep 06 11:26am

chummley

Member since Sun 17 Sep 06

Do you always believe what the tabloids print, what is happening is the school has got to provide over 1000 meals in two half hour breaks the first is at 11 o'clock and then 1 o'clock this means some children are not getting any food because the queue's are too long and if they do manage to get some they have to rush it down or they are made  to throw it away because the bell has gone for the start of the next lesson , so some of the kids are not even to bothered to go to the canteen and are not eating at all which has angered alot of parents esspecialy that the kids can't even come home for dinners as they are locked in like prisoners ,all this about them wanting to feed them junk food is just tabloids spicing up a story,they agree with jamie oliver this is only a short term solution until the problem is resolved.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 17 Sep 06 1:19pm

Naz123

Hi Jamie,
After seeing the ridiculous sight of the mums posting pies and chips through a hole in the school fence I just had to write. You need to crack on with the Primary School projects. By the time these kids get to secondary school they will have got used to and even like good food. Everything takes times and eventuall eating good food will become second nature to kids. I have seen the effect of giving children choices of fresh fruit and veg in schools (I ama primary teacher) and I know they eventually choose which fruit they want rather than whether they want fruit. It works  - and it takes time. We also need to make school dinners so cheap that most parents wouldn't think twice about making their kids have a school meal. And we need a tax on processed food - if it's too expensive people wont buy it!! A tad fascist I know but the procesed food industry has too much power

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 17 Sep 06 2:57pm

bond226

I think Jamie has done a great job as regards opening the eyes of schools to the very unsuitable food that our children are provided with.
These 'Mothers' are the sort that cannot be helped, they won't be about when their kids reap the rewards of their junk food upbringing. Save your breath Jamie for the majority of parents who appreciate your help on their kids behalf.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 17 Sep 06 3:24pm

The Swede

Hi,

I'm Swedish so this matter really doesn't apply to me. But i read in one of Sweden's national newspapers about the parents that bought junk food for their children to eat at school for lunch instead of the healthy and nutritous food that Jamie have fought so hard for. It was so repulsive i just had to write a few lines and ask Jamie for god sake not to give up!! The TV show is also broadcasted in Sweden and i think i speak for all parents in Sweden when i say that we really cheered Jamie on when he fought for more money to serve better food at your schools. Please, could not parents in this neighbour hood that understand what these parents are doing to their kids, and apparantly to other parents kids also(!!),  for god sake to take action against these "child abusers"!!

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 17 Sep 06 9:48pm

Dinzinelli

I felt very strongly about this also, in fact it has enraged me and most of my friends.
I am expecting my first child in the next few months so I consider the work Jamie is doing to encourage healthy eating of paramount importance, as it will directly effect my child. These parents who think they are doing these kids a favour disgust me, how can they be so ignorant? Their children are only picky because they have been brought up on rubbish and its not only their children they are effecting with this junk food run. I hope that parents of the other children whose health they are ruining make a huge effort to stop this disgrace.
Jamie please dont give up, not every parent is this bloody stupid or selfish.

mad

Likes (0)