Subscribe to forums RSS

#71 Tue 14 Nov 06 5:19am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

Hi Netta, for a simple dessert I make jellied fruit in plastic cups leaving enough room for a dollop of cream or icecream. Perfectly portable for outside eating and suitable for the teenies to the adults.

As mentioned before the Pav. is also always a favourite, or what about icecream with Milo sprinkled over the top.

Fresh fruit salad is also great for afters on a hot Chrissie Day.
Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#72 Tue 14 Nov 06 8:56am

netta

From sydney
Member since Wed 01 Dec 04

Thanks so much to all who replied, I have some ideas to think about.
Last year I served berries in chanpagne jelly, everyone was suitably impressed, so I hope to top that this year.
smile

Likes (0)

#73 Tue 14 Nov 06 8:58am

netta

From sydney

woops - that should have been champagne jelly

Likes (0)

#74 Tue 14 Nov 06 9:03am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi Mercs.

Mice in champagne! big_smile

Bubble and squeak is a really old recipie and is a fantastic way to use up your leftover cabbage, sprouts etc... it is used as a breakfast food, but can be used with any meal...

For the forks, just make small ones, big enough to fit on the prongs.

BUBBLE AND SQUEAK...

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup butter
2 cup leftover cooked cabbage,sprouts etc, chopped
2 cup mashed potato
1 tbl pepper
1 x egg, beaten

METHOD

Melt the butter in a frypan over medium heat.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and mix together until well-combined.

Place the mixture in a frypan and pat down into a cake. Reduce the heat to low and let cook until the bottom has browned (about 15 minutes).

Invert a plate over the top of the frypan and flip the cake out onto the plate.

Slip the cake back into the frypan and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes and serve.

Squeaks and bubbles as it cooks. You can use leftover brussel sprouts too, in place of the cabbage

Enjoy mate,

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Tue 14 Nov 06 9:03am)

Likes (0)

#75 Tue 14 Nov 06 5:43pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Lemom meringue Pavlova Roll

Pavlova
8 egg whites
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted

Lemon Curd

1/2 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon peel
2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream, optional

Orange Caramel Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup orange juice

1. For the roll, in a large bowl, beat egg whites until light. Slowly beat in sugar until whites are stiff and shiny. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. Fold in cornstarch.
2. Spread meringue over a 17x11 inch (45x29cm) parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a pre heated 325F or 160C oven for 20 min. Cool completely. Dust top with sifted icing sugar. Run a knife around the edge to prevent sticking and then invert onto another piece of parchment.
3. For the lemon curd, in a saucepan, combine lemon juice,  peel and sugar. Bring to a boil.
4. Beat eggs in a med. bowl. Whisk in hot lemon juice mixture, slowly. Return everything to saucepan and cook on med. for 3-5 min. until thick and bubbly. Strain mixture if you wish to, transfer to a clean bowl, cover and chill.
5. Whip cream until light. When lemon mixture is cold, fold in the cream.
6. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook on med heat, stirring just until sugar dissolves. Brush and crystals down with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Cook , without stirring for 5-8 min. or until mixture turns a caramel color. Add lemon juice and OJ, bring to a boil and stir until smooth.
7. Spread lemon mixture over meringue. Roll up tightly lengthwise. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. Cut roll into serving pieces and place on serving plates with sauce.

Caramel drizzles.... optional
In a small sauce pan combine 1 cup sugar and 3 tbsp water. Cook on med heat stirring until sugar dissolves Brush any crystals down with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Continue to cook without stirring 5-8 min or until mixture turns a caramel color. Transfer to a bowl for a few min. until caramel thickens slightly. Carefully set bowl in a larger bowl of hot water to keep caramel liquid but thick. Drizzle caramel in shapes, freeform ziz-zags, on a buttered sheet of wax paper and let sit until firm, like candy. Carefully remove from paper in small pieces so you can insert the caramel thin into the centre of each cake piece.

Likes (0)

#76 Thu 16 Nov 06 12:16am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

ANOTHER IDEA FOR A ZESTY CHRISTMAS DESSERT...

PANETONNE WITH LIMONCELLO

INGREDIENTS...

knob of Butter
handful of plain flour
7 egg yolks
100ml Limoncello liqueur
3 tbsp Sugar
500ml Milk
750g panettone, cut into 2.5cm thick slices to fit a 20cm cake tin
icing sugar, for dusting

TO SERVE...

Mascarpone
grated zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp Limoncello liqueur

METHOD...

Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease a 20cm cake the tin with the knob of butter and dust with plain flour shaking off any excess. Set aside.

Whisk together the egg yolks, limoncello, sugar and milk until well-blended.

Place a layer of panettone slices on the bottom of the tin, then pour in about half the egg yolk mixture, followed by more panettone and then top with the rest of the egg yolk mixture.

Bake for half an hour. Meanwhile, whisk together the mascarpone, lemon zest and limoncello.

Remove from the oven, and turn out upside down onto a serving plate.

Dust with sieved icing sugar and serve with lemon mascarpone.

Likes (0)

#77 Thu 16 Nov 06 12:24am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

CLEMANTINE PANNA COTTA...

INGREDIENTS

1 litre whipping cream
1 vanilla pod
zest of 3 clementines
235g caster sugar
3 leaves of gelatine, softened in a little cold water

METHOD

Place the cream, vanilla pod and clementines in a saucepan. Bring to a slow simmer, then remove from direct heat and leave to infuse the flavours for 10 minutes.

Remove the vanilla pod and clementines, using a slotted spoon. Stir in the caster sugar and gelatine until melted.

Pour the panna cotta mixture into 6 shot glasses or ramekin dishes and place in the fridge to set and chill until serving.

Likes (0)

#78 Thu 16 Nov 06 12:50am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

some of the recipies that I have just posted contain Limoncello, a really intense Italian lemon liqueur, Just as a bit of an interesting sub-recipie idea, it reminded me of my x- boss and now friend Franco who makes his own in the restaurant where I used to work... I am not sure how it compares to shop brought Limoncello, and I am not sure how "authentic" this recipie is, but needles to say Franco makes it this way and the customers go mad for it...

LIMONCELLO...

INGREDIENTS

200g caster sugar
150ml water
zest and juice of 6 fresh,unwaxed lemons
700ml vodka

METHOD

Put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer briskly for 3-4 minutes until the bubbles look syrupyand Leave to cool.

Add the lemon zest and juice to the syrup while it is still slightly warm. Then add the vodka.

Pour into sterile bottles or jars and seal.

Leave in a cool, dark place for 1 month, shaking every day for the first week. After a month the lemon liqueur will be ready to drink. Strain into clean bottles.

Put in the freezer for several hours before serving. The liqueur is best served in frozen shot glasses.

Likes (0)

#79 Thu 16 Nov 06 3:52am

netta

From sydney

Great recipes, can anything be substituted for the clementines in the Panna Cotta recipe? smile

Likes (0)

#80 Thu 16 Nov 06 2:30pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

Hi netta, you can pretty much use any fruit that you want, the reason I chose clemantines is because the smell and flavour remind me of christmas!!!

Here is a different variation on a panna cotta using spiced apples and raisins, another chistmasy style dish that uses panna cotta...

SPICED PANNA COTTA WITH APPLES AND RAISINS...

INGREDIENTS

For the marinated raisins...

75g raisins
4 tbsp Calvados Brandy

For the panna cotta...

3 sheets leaf gelatine
900ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split
1 cinnamon stick
75g caster sugar
pinch ground nutmeg

For the apple puree...

900g Bramley apples, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp water
3 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 lemon, grated zest only
1 orange, grated zest only

METHOD

Mix the raisins and calvados together and leave to macerate for 6 hours, or up to 2 days.

Soak the gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes to soften.

Put the cream into a saucepan with the vanilla pod and cinnamon stick. Heat the cream till it forms a skin, but don’t let it boil.

Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.

Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream and add the pod.

Return the pan to the heat and add the sugar and nutmeg. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Discard the cinnamon stick, and remove the vanilla pod.

Stir the soaked gelatine into the hot cream until it has completely dissolved.

Divide the cream between 6 dessert glasses and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until softly set.

Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the apple puree into a saucepan, cover with a lid and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, until the apples fall to a soft mush. Stir well, to collapse any small chunks of apple.

Take the pan off the heat, and stir in the marinated raisins, with any marinade they haven’t soaked up. Leave to cool completely.

Spoon the mixture over the panna cottas and serve.

Like I said, You can use this recipie to make a plain panna cotta and add any fruit that you like, best to stick to fruit that is in season to ensure the best flavour, sticking to the seasons will give the dessert a christmas feling too.... juicey figs, apples, ripe pears, clemantines,is what I would use here at christmas time, bit seeing as though you are in Sydney summer fruits would be better, strawberrys, raspberrys... what ever you can get hold of that makes you feel like xmas!

All the best mate

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Fri 17 Nov 06 12:15am)

Likes (0)