mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

LETS EAT CAKE!

We have a great cookies thread, ..COOKIES ANONYMOUS
                   a fab soup thread.....SOUPS ON

now I am hoping that we might have a cake thread!!

this is a great cake that I like to make at christmas , but , I also use the recipe as a celebration cake.
It is a bit expensive as an' everyday cake' but take my word for it , it is realy delicious.

JEWELLED FRUIT CAKE or WHITE CHRISTMAS CAKE

(whichever you would like to call it!)
This is an old cake recipe that I was given around 20 years ago, (it had been used in the same family for many years).

8 oz Butter
8 oz Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
5 oz Plain Flour
5 oz Self Raising flour
8 oz Yellow Sultanas
4 oz candied peel ( buy the whole peel and chop it fairly fine)
8 oz Glace Cherries ( red, yellow and green)
2 oz crystalised Angelica  ( chopped)
2 oz chopped crystalised ginger
4 oz glace pineapple
4 oz Walnuts
2 oz Brazil Nuts
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
pinch of salt
a genorous grate of nutmeg!
grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange.( zest)
4 table spoons of brandy/sherry/whisky/( whatever you prefer!)

(N.B. I have to add that I always put in
*rather more nuts than are in the recipe, I used a mixture of nuts,almond,pecans,brazil,hazel.but NOT peanuts or cashews.
* I also put in about 2-4 oz of glace papaya.
I am giving you the recipe as it was given to me, I just pop the  extra things in!!)

Method..
soak the fruit overnight in  the brandy/sherry/whisky
Line a cake tin with greaseproof paper and brush it with melted butter.
seive the flour, salt and spices together ( reserve a couple of tablespoons to dust the fruit and nuts with)
Cream together the butter and sugar,
beat the eggs and stir them into the mixture with one or two tablespoons of flour.
Fold in the flour,salt and spices,and grated zest of the lemon and orange
Dust the fruit and nuts with the reserved flour  and mix then in with the cake mixture.

cook one shelf below the center of the oven,
                              1st hour....gas 3   170 degrees C    325degrees F
                              2 nd hour...gas 2   150 degreesC    300degrees F

I always protect the tin with a couple of 'folds' of brown paper wrapped around the tin.

When the cake is cooked, cool and cover with a layer of marzipan and a little glace icing.
or if you prefer. just dust with a bit of icing sugar and slices of glace fruit.

It is what I call a 'well behaved cake' as you can through in a few/ quite a lot of , extras ( nuts and other dried  fruit) and it always works.

Try it its realy good and is quite a change from the traditional dark christmas /wedding cake. You should be aware that it is quite a sweet cake

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Jan 07 7:00pm

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

Re: LETS EAT CAKE!

Mummza,
Great thread! thumbsup   As you know, I made the above cake before Christmas and had rave reviews!  Requests have been placed for next Christmas!  Thanks for the recipe  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 22 Jan 07 9:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Last weekend I met up with the family members  that I had made this cake for as a christmas present...they were very enthusiastic about their cakes and are all after this recipe..same as you Kimber...I have been asked to make it for everyone again next year!  lol .It realy is a fabulous cake.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 23 Jan 07 6:54am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Angel Food Cake
INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
DIRECTIONS
Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
Sift together flour, sugar, and salt. Repeat five times.
Gently combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.

Carrot Cake

INGREDIENTS
1 pound carrots
2 cups white sugar
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. Flour pan and tap out excess flour.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, soda and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine coconut, walnuts and raisins. Set aside.
Grate carrots (to make 3 cups). Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, pineapple with juice, oil and applesauce. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and carrots.
Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add coconut, walnuts and raisins and combine.
Put batter into 10 inch Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Invert onto serving plate. Frost, and refrigerate one hour.
To make the frosting: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, orange zest and juice. Beat until smooth.

Praline Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
1/2 pound unsweetened chocolate
4 eggs
2 1/3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup toasted pecans
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tube pan.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites and keep the egg whites cold.
Combine milk, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, 1 cup of the butter and all of the chocolate and bring to a boil in the top half of a double boiler over medium heat. Let cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks, flour, and baking powder. Beat for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed.
In a glass or metal bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a greased 10 inch tube pan.
Bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To Make Frosting: Melt 1 cup sugar in a heavy pan. Once melted and slightly amber colored add the finely chopped nuts. Pour into a buttered flat sheet pan to cool. Once cool and set crush to a powder using a food processor.
Cream 1/2 cup of the butter until light and fluffy, gradually mix in the nut powder and the confectioners' sugar beating until smooth and creamy. Spread frosting over top of cake and garnish with whole pecan halves.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 25 Jan 07 3:16pm

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

Hamburg cake

For the cake you 'll need...
2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup margarine
2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 vanillas
125 gr. chocolate couverture
1 cup chopped almonds

Mix all the ingredients together really well, except from the chocolate and the almonds. Spread a baking pan with butter and put the mixture into it. Chop the chocolate cuverture (in big pieces) and put the pieces in the pan inside the mixture of the cake. Powder the cake with the almonds. Bake in 180C for 40-45 minutes.

For the syrup, you 'll need...
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Boil it for 5 minutes

When the cake is ready and before it gets cool we pour it on with the syrup. We let it for a while in order to absorb the syrup and then we cut it into pieces..

Give a try! I's really tasty and you 'll love it! smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 25 Jan 07 5:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Venus,I have been searching for the past couple of days for my old 'Cranks' cookbook, but where it is is a mystery!
I wanted to post the cranks recipe as it was a 'wholemeal' version of Carrot Cake and I remember it as being pretty good, I also thought it would be nice to have a comparrison.

Vasia, please will you tell me what chocolatecuverture is like as I am unsure.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 26 Jan 07 12:47pm

catlady

From Arkansas, USA
Member since Sun 25 Jun 06

mummza, I thought I'd post the Cranks carrot cake recipe for you.  The Cranks book is one of my favourites!

Cranks Carrot Cake
6 oz (175g) carrots
2 free-range eggs
4 oz (100g) raw brown sugar
3 fl oz oil
4 oz (100g) 100% wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2oz (50g) dessicated coconut
2oz (50g) raisins

Orange Icing:
1 1/2 oz (40g) butter or margarine
3 oz (75g) raw pale brown sugar
Grated rind of 1/2 orange
1 oz (25g) chopped, shelled walnuts

Grease and line the base of a 7" (18 cm) square cake tin.  Finely grate the carrots.  Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy.  Whisk in the oil slowly, then add the remaining ingredients and mix together to combine evenly. 

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.  Leel the surface and bake in the oven at 190 C (375 F / Gas Mark 5) for 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden brown.  Cool on a wire tray.  Spread with orange icing when cold.

For the icing: Beat the butter until soft, beat in the sugar and orange rind.  Spread over the cake and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 26 Jan 07 1:07pm

catlady

From Arkansas, USA
Member since Sun 25 Jun 06

I almost forgot the reason I popped into this thread!  I was looking for a recipe for a moist apple cake.  The one I found had a video showing how to make it, which I thought others might enjoy watching! 

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-mak … apple-cake

My only real criticism is that the cake looks burnt when done!  There are other videos on that site too, including how to make baked beans on toast... lol

Last edited by catlady (Fri 26 Jan 07 1:07pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 26 Jan 07 6:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

catlady, I agree with you about the apple cake in the link looking burned.
thankyou for posting the Cranks recipe, you have saved me hour of searching for my book! lol
The 2 carrot cake recipies are realy quite different.I have never had a disaster when making the cranks carrot cake, I know that it works well.
I plan to try out Venus's recipe soon.

Venus...what is in Pumpkin pie spice please? I would imagine that it has cinnimon and nutmeg in it but does it contain other things also.?

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 26 Jan 07 7:22pm

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

Hello guys!
Mummza! Well, it is a kind of dark chocolate. In fact I don't know how to tell this in English exactly. Couverture is the kind of chocolate that we use in sweets. For example, we melt it and cover cakes or whatever. I hope I was informative... smile

Likes (0)