forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 22 Jan 07 6:18pm

ska

Member since Mon 22 Jan 07

Chicken maryland recipe (jamies dinners)

Hey there, i was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.  Im a student and not too good at the cooking (but improving...i hope!). 
Whenever i cook im cooking for about 5 people.

So when i was looking through Jamies Dinners, i saw the recipe for the 'tray baked chicken maryland' and thought it would make a great dinner, except for one thing.  That is, i really dont like bananas.  Most things i dont like i will still eat, but bananas is one of the few i wont.  I was thinking maybe there is an alternative to using the bananas (it says to put the bananas in the chicken breasts before cooking) but im not sure if anything else will work?  Im fairly inexperienced with cooking so hopefully someone else can help me as i dont have a clue what i could use as a substitute! Thanks :)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 23 Jan 07 1:39am

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Chicken maryland recipe (jamies dinners)

Hello ska, welcome.

Banana is traditionally served with Chicken Maryland, but how about trying Mango.  It is soft and squidgy like banana, and although the flavour will be different, I think it would work.

Just a thought!!!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 23 Jan 07 3:41am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

This is an amazing recipe and there is not much substitute for bananas.

The banana flavour is not all that strong in this and just compliments and enhances the flavours of everything else.

My advice is to try it, just give it a go and you may be pleasantly surprised. Even if you don't like bananas, please try it.

I hate broadbeans (too many grey overcooked humungus ones as a child), I never buy them. OG brought home some that a workmate grew organically and because I would consider it to be rude not to eat them, I dug up a recipe for double peeled broad beans and home made pasta and it was delicious.

I wouldn't go out of my way even now to eat broad beans, but it is a recipe I would make again if given some or I saw some nice fresh ones at the market.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 23 Jan 07 11:24am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

i found it a very rich recipe, but very good. I think the banana gave it some of therichness that it would been odd without.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 30 Jan 07 1:37am

*Ninja

Occupation Student
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Thu 02 Dec 04

I've made this too, and the banana flavour wasn't overpowering at all. Maybe give it a try, however if you are still keen not to use banana, I think the above post which suggests Mango would also be quite nice. Mango goes really well with chicken :-)

Let us know how you go....

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 30 Jan 07 11:26am

jandemartino

Occupation Personal Chef cooking for Familys and Occassions....
From Florida
Member since Tue 30 Jan 07

Also comes to Mind is tinned and drained Pineapple or Apricots  in  Natural juices for the stuffing instead jan xxx If you hate Bannanas there are no set rules to say you must use them ....Until you try another fruit  out you wont know go for it and let us know how it turns out jan x

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 09 Feb 07 4:02am

BelarK

Occupation CSIRO - Marine Electronics
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Tue 11 Apr 06

I agree with the Mango suggestion or maybe even paw-paw if you really can't handle the banana. I'll be making this recipe again now that Banana's are cheap again.

(For those not in Australia, we had all our banana crops wiped out by a cyclone last year so banana's went up to around $14 a kilo)

Likes (0)