forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 02 Feb 07 2:38pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

freezing marinated meat

hello

does anyone know if it is ok to marinade meat for 24 hours and then freeze to cook at a later date?

i am making lamb kleftiko and want to be able to freeze them to use at a later date, as it makes it cheaper to buy more than one shank at a time.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 02 Feb 07 2:45pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Re: freezing marinated meat

It is totally ok to freeze it and cook later on. Why are you marinating it for 24hrs though? Seems a long time.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 02 Feb 07 2:49pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

it's the best way for kleftiko - marinate in lemon juice and fresh thyme and rosemary.

i've just got a new fridge freezer so can freeze things now - which i've never done before, have always made things fresh.  i'm entering a whole new world!

Last edited by Femurs (Fri 02 Feb 07 2:50pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 03 Feb 07 1:53am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I would just chuck the marinade on and than freeze it straight away.

Defrost it in the fridge overnight and it will be perfect.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 21 Nov 08 3:23am

jessica77

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

I usually marinade all night long, and prepare it one day in advance, is ok 12 hrs,

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 31 Dec 08 5:05am

miryam

Member since Tue 28 Oct 08

I have a very good recipe of marinated lamb, marinated meat  hope everybody enjoys it.

Last edited by miryam (Wed 31 Dec 08 5:09am)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 31 Dec 08 8:44pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am with Cindy on this: freeze right away after chucking it in the marinade. The marinade will do some of it's magic in the freezer too. And then when you thaw it slowly (overnight) in the fridge, it will do the rest - just like your marinading it 24 hours usually - and then cook it as usual.
If you have already marinaded of course, you can still freeze. No probs. Just as long as the meat wasn't frozen before.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 31 Dec 08 8:59pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

amberpamba wrote:

It is totally ok to freeze it and cook later on. Why are you marinating it for 24hrs though? Seems a long time.

No it doesn't.

hmm

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 31 Dec 08 11:23pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Actually, I have recipes that ask for marinading for several days - a traditional sour roast (Sauerbraten) needs 3 days to a week in the marinade yummy

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 01 Jan 09 1:22pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Have never tried it... I would actually just freeze the meat, then defrost when needed and then do the marinade...

I'm just thinking, say, if I was to make a civet of rabbit or coq au vin, which requires overnight in the fridge in red wine, peppercorns etc., would you freeze it then with the wine marinade?? because as far as I know, wine doesnt freeze well...

anyone??

Frenchie

Likes (0)