forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 Feb 07 2:08pm

billybear

Member
Occupation Semi retired now running a cave house holiday lettings.
From Spain
Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

simple starter for dinner party for 8

I'm wanting something easy to prepare in the morning and can throw in the fridge till the evening

    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 Feb 07 9:52pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

i normally do an antipasto platter for people to graze

    Likes (0)

#3 Mon 05 Feb 07 2:44am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

Chilled Tomato and Basil Soup     

Ingredients :

1    x    Cucumber, (peeled and deseed)
2    x    Cloves Garlic, (chopped)
12    x    Ripe Tomatoes, (peeled and seeded)
1/2    dsp    White Wine Vinegar
1/2    x    Lime, (juice)
200    ml    Double Cream
1    lrg    Sprig  Fresh Basil
         Seasoning - Salt & Pepper
         Fine dice of cucumber and tomatoes
1    sm    Sprig  fresh mint

    Method :

     1. Put all the ingredients (except the cream and basil) into the food processor and blend to a smooth liquid.
     2. Add the double cream and blend again and taste to season.
     3. Finely chop the basil and add to the finished soup.
    4. Garnish with the dice of cucumber and tomato in the centre of the chilled soup bowl and the chilled soup around. Garnish with a small sprig of fresh mint.

    Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Feb 07 11:29am

billybear

Member
Occupation Semi retired now running a cave house holiday lettings.
From Spain
Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

The White Rabbit wrote:

i normally do an antipasto platter for people to graze

Hi White Rabbit and many thanks for the great idea don't know why I didn't think of that many thanks. Best regards from sunny Spain. cool

    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Feb 07 11:32am

billybear

Member
Occupation Semi retired now running a cave house holiday lettings.
From Spain
Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

Hi Shamrock, Many thanks for the recipe will give it a go.kind regards from Billy Bear in sunny Spain cool

shammrok wrote:

Chilled Tomato and Basil Soup     

Ingredients :

1    x    Cucumber, (peeled and deseed)
2    x    Cloves Garlic, (chopped)
12    x    Ripe Tomatoes, (peeled and seeded)
1/2    dsp    White Wine Vinegar
1/2    x    Lime, (juice)
200    ml    Double Cream
1    lrg    Sprig  Fresh Basil
         Seasoning - Salt & Pepper
         Fine dice of cucumber and tomatoes
1    sm    Sprig  fresh mint

    Method :

     1. Put all the ingredients (except the cream and basil) into the food processor and blend to a smooth liquid.
     2. Add the double cream and blend again and taste to season.
     3. Finely chop the basil and add to the finished soup.
    4. Garnish with the dice of cucumber and tomato in the centre of the chilled soup bowl and the chilled soup around. Garnish with a small sprig of fresh mint.

    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Feb 07 7:08pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

Soups are great as you can keep them in the fridge and then just warm them up.
Antipasti are great.
I recently brought roasted squash (Jamie's recipe - butternut squash cut into inch wide slices, seasoned, roasted in oven) to a party, but had to work all afternoon - so I cut up and seasoned the squash in the morning and put it in the fridge on the baking tray. When I got up I just popped them in the oven for about 5 minutes more (as they were fridge cold), threw them in a bowl and off to the party I was.
Capri salad on a stick is also an easy one. Just get the small cocktail tomatoes and the little mozarella balls (or cube a big one). On tooth picks always put one tomato and a mozarella bit with a leave of basil in between. If you want sprinkle the whole lot with a little balsamico, olive oil and pepper.

    Likes (0)

#7 Mon 14 Jan 08 11:15pm

DominicNoBe

Member
Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Re: simple starter for dinner party for 8

SusanneH wrote:

Soups are great as you can keep them in the fridge and then just warm them up.
Antipasti are great.
I recently brought roasted squash (Jamie's recipe - butternut squash cut into inch wide slices, seasoned, roasted in oven) to a party, but had to work all afternoon - so I cut up and seasoned the squash in the morning and put it in the fridge on the baking tray. When I got up I just popped them in the oven for about 5 minutes more (as they were fridge cold), threw them in a bowl and off to the party I was.
Capri salad on a stick is also an easy one. Just get the small cocktail tomatoes and the little mozarella balls (or cube a big one). On tooth picks always put one tomato and a mozarella bit with a leave of basil in between. If you want sprinkle the whole lot with a little balsamico, olive oil and pepper.

capri salad on a toothpick is great when you lay it out nice and pretty and dash it with some balsamic, olive oil, and pepper as you have described.  what i have also done is take a length of prosciutto and basil and wrap it around the cheese and stick the toothpick through that with the seam at the bottom...then stick the tomato...

or have the toothpick treats circled around the outside and have prosciutto, roasted red peppers, and parmesan in the center...GOODNESS!

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.