forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#22031 Wed 12 Mar 14 11:32pm

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

Re: Whats For Supper?

Everyone's ideas sound so delish'. I have limited energy so easy is best. love the seafood, so your calamari & pasta sounds good Maree, & I love sausages & mash Frizz. Miss glutenfree-what is a Y-bone steak? I have heard of a T-bone steak but not Y-bone? But the rest sounds lovely.  I will be having Baked Potato Chowder again...like I said I made a big pot of it! lol! Tomorrow something different for sure. Groceries are delivered tomorrow. smile

Likes (0)

#22032 Wed 12 Mar 14 11:37pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

It was delish, Imbathome. I halved the amount of calamari and one half was for the pasta. The other half was dressed with lemon juice and EVOO while still warm and will become salad tonight. Two meals out of one. Just how I like it smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22033 Wed 12 Mar 14 11:45pm

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

Maree wrote:

It was delish, Imbathome. I halved the amount of calamari and one half was for the pasta. The other half was dressed with lemon juice and EVOO while still warm and will become salad tonight. Two meals out of one. Just how I like it smile.

Yummy! smile  Maree, how did you cook the calamari?

Likes (0)

#22034 Wed 12 Mar 14 11:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ

This has appeared here before but I'm on my phone at work and the search function doesn't work too well on mobiles/ cells so apologies. Also has how to clean calamari/ squid:

Baby Calamari Salad
Maree posted 04-29-98 4
Baby Calamari (Squid) Salad
500g- 1kg (1-2lb) fresh baby calamari (whole). Preferably no longer than your middle finger. Don't try this with frozen or the pre-cleaned squid tubes. It'll taste like rubber. The amount depends on appetite and whether this is an entrée/ side/ mains.
water;
fresh chopped parsley
good- great olive oil
fresh lemon juice
washed lettuce.
Salt and Pepper
If this is to be a substantial dish (lunch/ mains etc) you may wish to add: Olives (stoned) Freshly cooked pasta (to time with when calamari is finished cooking) Crusty bread.
Clean calamari. Cut off tentacles just below the beak. Remove and discard ink sac. (*All of this is best done over the kitchen sink. Don’t wear your best gear, ‘cause sometimes the squid ink squirts at you!.)
Pull out intestine (milky- white mushy stuff) and the bendy piece of plastic-like stuff which is the backbone. Cut through the eyes (that's where the ink is!) and discard all but the piece attached to the tentacles. Push up through the hole in the middle of the tentacles and remove (and discard) the beak. It’s the hard roundish thingy.
Rinse the tube like cavity well and then rub/ pull off the grey/black skin from the body and fins of the calamari. Remove skin (if necessary) from the tentacles. Don’t worry too much, though.
Cut tentacles into 2  (5 cm) thick pieces. Cut body (tube) crosswise into 1/4 “ thick (~ 1/2cm) rings.
Place calamari rings and tentacles into a pan with a pinch of salt. Add 1 (Aussie) tablespoon (that’s 4 teaspoons) of water for each full squid. Cover pan and put over medium heat. After 1 min., remove lid from pan and give a good stir. Then replace lid and simmer for a further 2 mins. Remove pan from heat. Taste a piece. It should be deliciously tender. If not, return to heat, cover and cook for another minute or two (it depends on your pan and heat source really- just take care NOT to over-cook). It should look rosy-pink, too.
Tip onto shallow dish / into a colander/ sieve to cool.
Add handful of freshly chopped fresh parsley, some good olive oil, squeeze of lemon juice and S&P to taste, toss well. Serve on lettuce or with stoned olives and warm pasta (+/- green salad) and crusty bread for a good lunch or a light dinner.
Inspired by Stephanie Alexander’s (1985) “Stephanie’s Menus for Food Lovers  , Methuen Haynes, North Ryde, NSW. Australia. ISBN: 0 454 00817 1. (Re-released recently in soft cover).

For the pasta half I didn't dress until I was about to eat.

Likes (0)

#22035 Thu 13 Mar 14 2:48am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

lmbathome wrote:

Everyone's ideas sound so delish'. I have limited energy so easy is best. love the seafood, so your calamari & pasta sounds good Maree, & I love sausages & mash Frizz. Miss glutenfree-what is a Y-bone steak? I have heard of a T-bone steak but not Y-bone? But the rest sounds lovely.  I will be having Baked Potato Chowder again...like I said I made a big pot of it! lol! Tomorrow something different for sure. Groceries are delivered tomorrow. smile

Y-bone is oyster blade with the bone still in. Its a cheap cut but nice when slow cooked or pm the BBQ.
Unfortunately I didn't cook last night as I was too tired. My 5 week old is at a restless stage so constant crying & feeding yesterday. I was in bed by 8:30pm! Tonight I will try again lol. Making pizzas for lunch today so that's at least something.

Likes (0)

#22036 Thu 13 Mar 14 3:02am

Maree

Forum super champ

Oh dear, Miss GF. This is when my two started with colic. Hope that's not the case for you and that he settles down soon  crossed

Likes (0)

#22037 Thu 13 Mar 14 12:37pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

-

Pork sausage, onion gravy & cheddar toasted sandwiches.

It's been A DAY.

Likes (0)

#22038 Thu 13 Mar 14 1:22pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Calamari salad. A peach.

Likes (0)

#22039 Thu 13 Mar 14 4:56pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Shropshire Fidget pie home-grown sprouts and carrots....as long as i get my pastry situation/problem sorted...

Have started a post on this.....   think

Last edited by joobes (Thu 13 Mar 14 4:57pm)

Likes (0)

#22040 Thu 13 Mar 14 6:52pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Chicken curry tonight.

Likes (0)