forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#22231 Thu 24 Apr 14 10:28am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Whats For Supper?

It was 30C here today. 10C when I got up this morning.

Daughter is driving up tonight for the long weekend (two in a row). Wants her "usual" (chicken in coconut milk) but since she's gone Paleo wants it over quinoa. Steamed Asian greens to follow. Will have fresh fruit for dessert.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22232 Thu 24 Apr 14 10:54am

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

I have some Venison meatballs to thought i would do a Lasagna with ricotta cheese, Parmesan and a spiced passata sauce with them.

Not done one with meatballs and ricotta cheese before,its always been minced beef and cheddar cheese sauce. I've used ricotta in cheesecake but not a lasagna so i have no idea what it will turn out like.....only one way to find out i guess.

smile

Likes (0)

#22233 Thu 24 Apr 14 11:04am

Maree

Forum super champ

joobes wrote:

I have some Venison meatballs to thought i would do a Lasagna with ricotta cheese, Parmesan and a spiced passata sauce with them.

Not done one with meatballs and ricotta cheese before,its always been minced beef and cheddar cheese sauce. I've used ricotta in cheesecake but not a lasagna so i have no idea what it will turn out like.....only one way to find out i guess.

smile

I use ricotta (obviously) in spinach and ricotta lasagne. Works fine, joobes. If you're really worried Google "spinach and ricotta lasagne" for some guidelines on how to manage the ricotta part. I'm sure it'll be yummo smile.

Likes (0)

#22234 Thu 24 Apr 14 11:13am

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Thanks Maree, i have read to add egg to the ricotta, but that is to 15oz/425g mad   or there abouts....i only have a 250g tub so will add just half an egg maybe..

Last edited by joobes (Thu 24 Apr 14 11:14am)

Likes (0)

#22235 Thu 24 Apr 14 11:47am

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Marree now you have mentioned your ricotta and spinach lasagna you have got me thinking.

Wondering if Venison meatball lasagna (layering the browned balls, fresh lasagna sheets cooked red onion, mushooms, red, yellow peppers diced and spiced passata) then i thought of Wilting Spinach (Chard) with hot water squeezed of all the water mixed with Ricotta, grating of nutmeg and some parmsan to top the lasagne with....
Cooked in the oven for about 30-40 mins till hot and cooked through

I have no idea if it would work but have a feeling it might.  whistle

Last edited by joobes (Thu 24 Apr 14 11:49am)

Likes (0)

#22236 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:06pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Are you using Parmesan as well? The ricotta and spinach is pretty bland without but you have plenty of flavour in the ingredients you're using. I mix Parmesan in with the ricotta. Sometimes I add an egg if I want it firmer.

... Sorry, just re-read. You are using Parmesan. If you're using it only on top, it might get "lost" and also burn easily. Do you have any mozzarella for the top? Don't worry if you don't just be careful the Parmesan on top doesn't burn.

Last edited by Maree (Thu 24 Apr 14 12:11pm)

Likes (0)

#22237 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:11pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Yep i thought with the ricotta and spinach to add some Parmesan and nutmeg (light grating) aswell

Last edited by joobes (Thu 24 Apr 14 12:11pm)

Likes (0)

#22238 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:13pm

Maree

Forum super champ

joobes wrote:

Yep i thought with the ricotta and spinach to add some Parmesan and nutmeg (light grating) aswell

Sorry, I went back and edited. Yes, Nutmeg works well in that combo smile.

Likes (0)

#22239 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:25pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

that does sound good Joobes, lay an extra place at the table I'm on my way  big_smile .

We have pork chops tonight, don't know how or with yet - will work that out when I get home.

Gem

Likes (0)

#22240 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:30pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Aww thanks...you would all be more than welcome..... will try to remember to take a piccy before serving and devouring...  wink x

Likes (0)