forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#22671 Thu 31 Jul 14 9:39am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Whats For Supper?

Smoked salmon slices are delicious wrapped around asparagus, too ....

Tonight, by popular request, we're having beef fricassee and a green salad. 

Not bad - we fed 8 adults with hot beef, 5 adults with cold beef, another cold beef meal for 4, last night another 4 adults portions, 3 adult portions for lunch today, then another 4 adult portions for supper, making a total of 28 portions of beef.  I'll also get a large quantity of beef stock from the bones - so a large, 4-rib roast has actually proved to be rather economical  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#22672 Thu 31 Jul 14 9:52am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

oliviascotland wrote:

Not bad - we fed 8 adults with hot beef, 5 adults with cold beef, another cold beef meal for 4, last night another 4 adults portions, 3 adult portions for lunch today, then another 4 adult portions for supper, making a total of 28 portions of beef.

I've said many times in the past, only the Scots are more "economical" than Yorkshire folks!

thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#22673 Thu 31 Jul 14 10:06am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

beerforyorky wrote:

Maree wrote:

I do raw less-than-paper thin prosciutto but that's probably not available to you. Ham would work.

That would be my first choice but as you rightly assume, prosciutto is rarely available here. When I worked in Milan for a short time, prosciutto was one of my favourite sandwich fillers.

Mine, too, with a smear of creamy blue of some sort, lettuce, tomato and avocado (on open face, though) rye or schinkenbröt.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22674 Fri 01 Aug 14 2:26am

limey77

Member since Fri 25 Jul 14

Nothing too special tonight, just roast snapper with the leftover mojito oil and a nice bowl of summer fruits with homemade strawberry and sizchuan pepper sorbet.

My daughter ate most of the strawberries, leaving mum and me one each!

Last edited by limey77 (Fri 01 Aug 14 2:27am)

Likes (0)

#22675 Fri 01 Aug 14 1:27pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Asparagus tips in ham rolls with a shallot and mustard cream sauce with bubble and squeak. I am unlikely to try it again. C'est la vie!

Likes (0)

#22676 Fri 01 Aug 14 5:41pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

The rest of last nights Bobotie and Mexican potato wedges.....bit of a fusion going on there bit im using what i have in...   wink

Likes (0)

#22677 Fri 01 Aug 14 5:57pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Baked chicken, squash casserole, corn and zucchini fritters.

Likes (2)

#22678 Fri 01 Aug 14 10:04pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

beerforyorky wrote:

Asparagus tips in ham rolls with a shallot and mustard cream sauce with bubble and squeak. I am unlikely to try it again. C'est la vie!

I must have misunderstood, BFY. I serve the asparagus (I blanch and ice) with prosciutto as an hors d'oeuvre/ canapé. I don't sauce them. Sorry.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22679 Fri 01 Aug 14 10:28pm

limey77

Maree wrote:

beerforyorky wrote:

I must have misunderstood, BFY. I serve the asparagus (I blanch and ice) with prosciutto as an hors d'oeuvre/ canapé. I don't sauce them. Sorry.

Yeah that's how I do it as well, that or wrapped in a bit of pancetta, roasted and served with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Likes (0)

#22680 Fri 01 Aug 14 11:10pm

limey77

Tonight I finally got around to making baby back ribs in the oven. I wasn't sure how they'd turn out but they were awesome!

I made up a dry rub last night and left them sitting in the fridge until tonight, then cooked at 160c for a couple of hours. Then basted with the BBQ sauce I made and grilled for another 20 mins turning and basting every 5 mins.

The meat was basically falling off the bone,

Likes (0)