forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Feb 07 10:01pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

spanish school dinners.

hi,

ive been following the whole school dinners thing with great interest ever since jamie highlighted the issue a few years back, partly because i am a chef but mainly because i have kids, one who has dinner at school and one who will do in a couple of years time.

however, i live in spain and i must say that generally i find the standard of food at my daughter' school to be quite good. its not perfect; burgers, pizza, chips and deepfried foods do all find their way on to the menu, but not every day.

in fact the kids do get a salad on a daily basis, plus two hot courses, and a healthy dessert, usually fresh fruit or yoghurt (occasionally jelly or ice cream).

the point is there is a balance, between the stuff they like and the stuff thats healthy, with the latter being the more common, and while i think there is a little room to make more effort to create 'healthy food they like', on the whole im quite happy.

we even receive a menu every month that details each day's dinner, with a nutritional breakdown of the calorific value in each meal. handy because it means i dont end up cooking the same thing as school and if today was pizza i can make sure she gets a healthy supper. i would post a copy if it was possible, although it is in spanish...

anyway, just thought id chip in with my tuppence worth, feel free to comment...

cheers.

el.

Likes (0)