forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Feb 07 12:53am

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

Coconut-Pineapple sorbet inquiry

I'm going to have to have a go at making a dessert soon. I was thinking maybe do some biscuits, or a crumble, then I saw this

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?act … &lg=en

And I thought, why not?

Well.

1. Don't think I'm ready to do spun sugar

2. My freezer is not big enough to house a pineapple

3. Don't have an icecream maker, don't know anywhere that sells one. Maybe Makro, but I don't have a card

So, I was thinking

1. Don't do the spun sugar

2. Put the pineapple in the fridge

3. Mix the juice with crushed ice in the smoothie maker, then freeze it overnight and serve it in the pineapple

Would this work? By that I mean, would it come close to the original recipe?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Feb 07 10:29pm

vicbarryireland

Occupation Radio Presenter
From Cork, Ireland
Member since Sun 18 Feb 07

Re: Coconut-Pineapple sorbet inquiry

TheBeast wrote:

I'm going to have to have a go at making a dessert soon. I was thinking maybe do some biscuits, or a crumble, then I saw this

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?act … &lg=en

And I thought, why not?

Well.

1. Don't think I'm ready to do spun sugar

2. My freezer is not big enough to house a pineapple

3. Don't have an icecream maker, don't know anywhere that sells one. Maybe Makro, but I don't have a card

So, I was thinking

1. Don't do the spun sugar

2. Put the pineapple in the fridge

3. Mix the juice with crushed ice in the smoothie maker, then freeze it overnight and serve it in the pineapple

Would this work? By that I mean, would it come close to the original recipe?

Dunno if I can help much, but as far as the ice cream maker goes, Ive seen them in Tescos and failing that you should definitely be able to get one in a Dixons or Currys.

Instead of the spun sugar, how about a few coconuts, cut in half and circle them around the pineapple, with the shell facing upwards.

I cant see the fridge been an option to be honest. As for using the smoothie maker, give it a go. Sounds like it should work, dunno about consistency though.

Anyways, sorry If I wasnt much help

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 02 Mar 07 6:33am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Coconut-Pineapple sorbet inquiry

Coconut-Pineapple Sorbet (helado de coco y piña)

2 cans (20 ounces each) crushed pineapple, packed in its own juice
½ cup evaporated skim milk
¼ cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1 tablespoon grated orange peel

Combine pineapple with juice, skim milk, corn syrup, coconut extract and orange peel in food processor or, working in batches, in blender. Whirl until pureed. Pour mixture into 13 x 9 x 2 inch metal baking pan. Cover; freeze until partially frozen, about 3 hours. Spoon into food processor or, working in batches, in blender. Whirl until almost smooth; do not overprocess. Return mixture to pan. Cover; freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours longer. Remove sorbet from freezer 15 minutes before serving.

Likes (0)