forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 25 Feb 07 8:22am

kayleigh

Occupation Full time mummy!
From Petersfield.
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Doughnut recipe

Im looking for a doughnut recipe that I can do at home with the kids. I had a browse but couldn't see any. Can anyone help? big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Feb 07 2:37pm

sandra_tansy

Occupation student
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

Re: Doughnut recipe

Hey, I have this doughnuts recipe from one of Jamie's book. Hope this can help you. And tell me if it turns out great coz i haven't tried it  mrgreen
Here it goes...

What you need:
(for the doughnuts)
1x7 g sachet dried yeast
70g caster sugar
500 g plain flour
315 ml whole milk, warmed until tepid
zest of 2 lemons
zest of 1 orange
80 g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
1 litre vegetable oil

(for the flavoured sugar)
100 g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
1 vanilla pod, scored lenghtways and seeds removed

How to make:
1. Put the yeast in a bowl with a tbs of the caster sugar and a tbs of the flour and mix in the warm milk. Put in a warm place for a bout 15 mins until the mixture becomes frothy.

2. Put the rest of the sugar and flour, lemon and orange zest and butter in a bowl. Add yeast mixture and use spoon to bring it all together then use your hands to mix it into a ball. If it's too sticky, add a bit more flour. Knead the dough for 5 mins or so until it's smooth n silky. Pop it into a bowl, cover with clean damp cloth amd leave to rise for about 1 hr. Meanwhile, make your flavoured sugar by mixing the sugar, spices, zest, and vanilla seeds together in a bowl.

3. When the dough has doubled in size, give a bit of punch. Then on a floured surface, roll the dough out until it's an even 1 cm / 1/2 inch thickness. Using a little cutter or a small glass (app 5 cm / 2 inch diameter) cut about 25 little circles and pop them on to a greased baking tray to rise again, make sure there is a sufficient gap between each of them. Cover with damp tea towel and allow to rise for about 45 mins.

4. When the dough has doubled in size again, use a chopstick to make a little hole in the centre. Now, heat the vegetable oil in a large deep saucepan then fry your doughnuts for until golden brown (app 2 mins). Then sprinkle them with the flavoured sugar.

That's it. Seems like it takes quite some time to make, but hope it worth the time. Good luck with it!
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 25 Feb 07 8:35pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Don't know how you managed to avoid finding a recipe while browsing!

Try this search on google:-

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n … ut+recipes

It turned up over a million references!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Feb 07 9:06pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

This tried and tested Doughnut recipe has been used by my family for more years than I care to remember....and it makes really light, tasty doughnuts.

6oz self raising flour
1 1/2oz cooking fat
1 1/2oz caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
cooking fat or oil for frying

Prepare pan of hot cooking fat or oil.
Cream the fat, sugar and salt. Add the egg and clear. Stir in the milk, add the sieved flour and mix lightly to a smooth clear dough.
Turn out on to a floured board, roll out fairly thick (approx. 1/4inch) and cut into rounds. Stamp out small round holes in the centre of each and place in pan. Turn over when half cooked and cook the other side.
Dredge or roll in caster sugar.

The fat must be hot (approx. 260-370F). To test the temperature (if a thermometer is not available) a cube of bread will become golden brown in one minute.
Frying at too low a temperature produces greasy, heavy doughnuts.
If smoke rises from the fat it is too hot. This not only discolours the fat but also detracts from the flavour and appearance of the finished doughnuts.
Leave the doughnuts to cool slightly before rolling in caster sugar. If rolled immediately the hot fat melts the sugar.

Enjoy!!

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Feb 07 11:46am

kayleigh

Occupation Full time mummy!
From Petersfield.
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Thanks guys! I will give them a go this week and let you know! smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Feb 07 3:51pm

Matthew Waterhouse

From Llandewi Brefi, Wales
Member since Fri 05 Aug 05

Oh. My. God. You have no idea just how much I love doughnuts. I will make vats and vats of these and never stop eating them! Aaaaagh! Help me!  shocked

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 25 Jul 08 4:32am

allason

From Canada
Member since Mon 26 May 08

thanks for the recipe without yeast - i have been looking for a good non yeast recipe all week!!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 25 Jul 08 8:11am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Baked Doughnuts
2 packages yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups scalded, cooled milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup melted margarine
Cinnamon sugar (for topping)

In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, next six ingredients and 2 cups of the flour. Blend for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.

Turn dough onto a well-floured board. Roll dough around to coat with flour. (Dough will be soft.) Cut with floured doughnut cutter or cans. Lift carefully with spatula and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Brush with melted margarine. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 20 minutes).

Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 425 degrees F or until golden.

Immediately brush with melted margarine and shake in cinnamon sugar.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 25 Jul 08 12:08pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Tanya amazing recipe! I haven't tried jamie's yet but yours is truly tried and tested!

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 Jul 08 7:06pm

Jay30

Occupation ... basking in the sun....
From Anguilla & Liechtenstein
Member since Fri 17 Jun 05

Not to distract from the topic - but does anybody have the recipe for the European equivalent - the Berliner.

I would assume it is practically the same however I am not sure...

Thank
Juergen

Likes (0)