forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Feb 07 10:31pm

lisa_b

Member since Mon 26 Feb 07

Help finding a recipe for Chocolate Torte

Hi!
I'm trying to find a recipe for a chocolate torte - I think that's what it's called.

Basically, it's a bicsuit base with a chocolate mousse / cheesecake type topping. The only problem is I dont like cheesecake so don't want to use marscapone etc.

I've found a recipe on the BBC website for a velvet chocolate torte but found it a bit fiddly with having to make seperate meringue and whipped cream and then adding melted chocolate - I went wrong mixing it all together. So, I wondered if anyone on here knew of a recipe that fits my description.

I know Jamie does one with nuts but my kids wont eat them and I'm not confident enough to start changing recipes yet.

I know it might be a tall order, so thanks in advance.

Lisa
smile

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Feb 07 3:38am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Help finding a recipe for Chocolate Torte

Chocolate Torte     

Ingredients :

1    box    (1/2 lb) chocolate wafers, finely crushed
1/4    cup    Melted butter
1/2    lb    Marshmallows
1/3    cup    Milk
1/4    cup    Maraschino cherry juice
3/4    cup    Sliced maraschino cherries
1/2    cup    Chopped walnuts
1/2    cup    Heavy cream, whipped
         Whipped cream

Method :

Pour melted butter over wafers; blend well. Press 3/4 of the crumbs on the bottom of a greased 9x9 inch square pan. Melt marshmallows in milk and cherry juice in top of double boiler. Cool. Combine cooled marshmallow mixture, cherries, walnuts and whipped cream. Pour over crumbs. Refrigerate 3-4 hours. Cut in squares, top with whipped cream.
     Serves 8.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Feb 07 2:28pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Two-Nuts Chocolate Torte Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  The Naked Chef
Episode:  Reunion 

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: Yield: 8 servings

This is the best chocolate nut thing around. The day after you should try crumbling it over some ice-cream with a little espresso poured over the top. I always bake this torte in a cheesecake or spring-loaded tin or I make small ones baked in those trays you can use for mince pies, but you can use any well-greased and floured cake tin.

5 1/2 ounces shelled and peeled almonds
5 1/2 ounces shelled walnuts, finely ground
11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 heaped teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
9 ounces butter
3 1/2 ounces sugar
6 large free-range eggs, separated
Salt

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line the bottom of an 8 to 10-inch tin with a piece of greaseproof paper. Butter the bottom and sides then dust with flour. Place the nuts into a food processor and whizz up until finely ground. Then add the chocolate and cocoa and whiz for 30 seconds to break up the chocolate. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Add the butter and sugar to the food processor and beat until pale and fluffy. At this point add the egg yolks 1 at a time them mix together with the chocolate and nuts.
In another bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, butter and nut mix. Pour all the mixture into the tin. Bake in a preheated oven about 1 hour. To test if the torte is cooked, insert a cocktail stick or the tip of a knife for 5 seconds; when removed it should be reasonably clean. Serve with whipped cream, ice-cream or creme fraiche.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Feb 07 5:05pm

lisa_b

Hi,
Ah, thanks for that but as I said my kids dont like nuts, I'm after a basic recipe with just a plain biscuit base and a chocolate topping that is smooth with no brandy, mascapone etc in it - maybe made of chocolate and cream or something. I thought there might be a recipe for one that doesnt involve baking in the oven, you know like a basic cheesecake, without the cheese, LOL

I'm not good at experimenting and adapting recipes but hope to get more competent, I should just give it a try with melted chocolate and whipped cream and see how it turns out.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Feb 07 7:19pm

Christiane

Occupation student
From Germany
Member since Fri 25 Jun 04

Hi Lisa,

I normally do a simple biscuit base and top it with a mix of just cream and chocolate. I heat about one litre of homogenised cream and melt about 500 gr. of milk chocolate in it. I normally do that in the evening and let it cool down overnight. I then just whip it up the next day to a smooth cream. It's really simple but I think it's a great Schokoladentorte as we say in Germany both for adults and kids as it doesn't contain any alcohol or other stuff they might not like.

Hope this helps!

Christiane

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Feb 07 7:33pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Search The Times website (www.timesonline.co.uk) for Heston Blumenthal's recipe: it's wonderful.  I'd post a link but my internet's being moody.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Feb 07 7:53pm

lisa_b

Christiane: Thanks that sounds like what I'm after so I'll give that a try. I bought chocolate, cream and biscuits earlier so I'll be brave and see how it turns out!! It can't go too wrong can it?  yikes Whip the cream, melt the chocolate and gently fold it together when the chocolate has cooled??

Anna: thanks for your reply too, I've had a look and have bookmarked the link to the chocolate torte.

Thanks everyone!  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 28 Feb 07 4:11pm

Christiane

Occupation student
From Germany
Member since Fri 25 Jun 04

Hi Lisa,

I never tried it that way, I usually heat the cream and melt the chocolate in it, then let the whole mix cool down and then whip it up. But I'm pretty sure it also works the way you suggested! I also don't know if homogenised cream as we have it in Germany is available where you live. When I lived in England for a year I never saw it in supermarkets. But maybe that's just because I wasn't looking for it... roll Just give it a try and keep us posted about the result!  thumbsup

Christiane

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 28 Feb 07 4:50pm

lisa_b

I've found a recipe for a chocolate torte using whipped cream, melted chocolate and beated egg whites. I've made it all up this afternoon and it's chilling in the fridge as we speak!

It looks lovely even if I say so myself. I had a sneaky lick of the spoon after it was made and it tasted good so will see how it turns out later. You have to leave it to settle for 4 hours.

I'm dubious about the need for the soft meringue bit but it must be there for a reason!! Can't wait to try it!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 02 Mar 07 12:16am

lisa_b

Just to let you know that the torte is lovely! The filling is smooth and velvety! My only problem was that I found the taste too bitter which I put down to the plain chocolate. I'm going to try it with milk chocolate instead which I'm sure would make it a much smoother taste.

Thank you to everyone who posted and helped with my query.

thumbsup  Lisa

Likes (0)