Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:25pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

What can I do with smoked chicken?

I have been given a heap of smoked chicken breasts and its something I would never normally buy as it looks so unappetising. Apart from sandwhiches and salads, what can I do with it? I tastes a bit like ham.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:47pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Re: What can I do with smoked chicken?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recip … iews/12041

or how about doing a quiche or paella

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:51pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Have a look here for some ideas:-

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=smoked+chicken

or try this one:-     

Smoked Chicken & Pepperoni Gumbo
  Categories: Cajun, Chicken
       Yield: 6 Servings

-Spice mixture:
     1/4 ts White pepper
     1/4 ts Red pepper
     1/2 ts Black pepper
     1/2 ts Thyme
       1 ts Dry parsley flakes
     1/2 ts Gumbo file powder
            -(optional)
            -Vegetables:
       2 c  Onion
       2 c  Green pepper
       2 c  Celery
            -meats:
       2    Smoked chicken breasts.
      12    Inches pepperoni.
            -broth:
       6 c  Chicken broth

Prepare vegetables. Cut half in larger hunks (say 1/2 inch) and cut rest in fine chop (or use food processor).

Meats: two smoked chicken breasts, pulled from bone, skinned and pulled into bite size pieces by hand.  If you do not have smoked chicken, you may get away with using a small amount of liquid smoke. I would guess no more than 1/4 teaspoon. one stick (about 12 inches) pepperoni, cut into moderately thick slices. (say 1/8 inch or about twice as thick as presliced pizza pepperoni usually is)

Preparation: Using cast iron dutch oven, take the large cut onions and   singe them over medium high heat in the dry pan for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the rest of the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes more on medium heat, stirring frequently. Then add spice mixture and stir to incorporate. Stir in about 2 tablespoon dry roux. Add the broth and the pepperoni slices. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for at   least 1/2 hour or until vegetables are tender and flavors are merged. About   5 minutes before serving, add the chunks of chicken breasts to the mixture. At the same time, add more roux to thicken if desired.

Serve in bowl over lots of rice.

For additional smoke flavor, wrap the chicken bones and skin in cheese cloth and place in the mixture at the same time as the pepperoni. Remove all the bones and all the skin before stirring in the chicken pieces.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:57pm

jrbaptista

Member since Thu 01 Mar 07

As I am able to myself run for its school of cookery?   smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 02 Mar 07 6:06am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Smoked Chicken, Pineapple and Macadamia Salad

1 1/2 pounds boneless smoked chicken, cut into 1/2" dice
1-1/2 cups thin sliced celery
1 medium size pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bitesize pieces
2/3 cups mayonnaise
1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbls raspberry or sherry vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped roasted macadamia nuts
Celery leaves for garnish

In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, celery and pineapple. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the macadamia nuts and celery leaves. Toss with the ingredients in mixing bowl. Refrigerate until serving time. Garnish with the nuts and celery leaves.

Risotto Rice and Smoked Chicken

approx 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup risotto Arborio rice
3 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic,crushed
2 tablespoons butter
2 small zucchinis
3 mushrooms
2 small ready made smoked chicken breasts
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Raclette cheese, coursely grated
1/4 cup Parmasan cheese, coursely grated

Wash zucchinis and wipe mushrooms and dice into small cubes. Slice smoked chicken into thin slices. On a medium heat add oil, onion and butter in a large fry pan and add garlic and the rice and fry for approx. 2 minutes until the rice has changed colour. Turn down the heat. Add just enough stock to cover the rice. Allow to gently simmer on a low heat. When the stock has almost evapourated add 1/2 cup of stock at a time and continue until all the stock is used. Add zucchinis and mushrooms midway through. Stirring continuingly, uncovered for approx. 20 mins.

After 20 mins check that the rice is cooked through. Bring rice, chicken and grated cheeses to the table and place a thin layer of risotto in a raclette pan and top with a slice of smoked chicken and grated cheese. Allow to grill untill cheese has melted. Top with freshly ground pepper.

Smoked Chicken Rollantini

1 pre-cooked lasagna sheet
8 oz. smoked chicken
4 oz. spinach
4 oz. roasted red peppers
2 oz. pine nuts
4 oz. heavy cream
4 oz. Parmesan cheese
Salt
Pepper

Place precooked lasagna on table and take smoked chicken mixture on 3/4 of sheet.

Roll lasagna sheet into a circle and cut into 1/4-inch cuts. Heat in steamer and serve immediately.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 02 Mar 07 7:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

pizza topping

Likes (0)