Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 Mar 07 2:52pm

PalomitaPT

Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Tiramisu!! Help needed...

i'm looking for a really nice recipe.. can u help me??

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 Mar 07 4:52pm

indiechef

From London
Member since Sun 11 Dec 05

Re: Tiramisu!! Help needed...

my recipie for a simple tiramisu

1 vanilla pod
50g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
250ml double cream
6 tablespoons of any alcahol
350ml strong coffee
1 packet sponge fingers
250g Mascarpone
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder, for dusting

Method
1. Mix the vanilla seeds from the pod with egg yolks and sugar. Keep the vanilla pod to make vanilla sugar. Whisk until pale and thick.

2. In a separate bowl, lightly whip the cream.

3. Put the alcahol, my fav is rum, Tia Maria, Kahlua and the coffee into a bowl and dip half the sponge fingers into the mixture, then line a serving bowl with them.

4. Mix the mascarpone with the beaten egg mixture and fold the cream into the mix. Drizzle the sponge fingers with half the coffee mix and then half fill the serving bowl with the cream mixture.

5. Top with the remaining sponge fingers and drizzle the rest of the coffee mix. Finish with the rest of the cream mix and dust with the cocoa powder. Place in the fridge for about two hours to chill before serving.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 04 Mar 07 5:20pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Tiramisu Recipe (c) Jamie Oliver 2002
Show:  Oliver's Twist
Episode:  Chocolate 

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings 

This is always a favorite with everyone. The shavings are really easy and make it even more special.

Genoise sponge:
3 1/2 ounces (110 grams) caster sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 ounces (50 grams) melted butter
3 ounces (85 grams) plain flour
1-ounce (30 grams) good-quality cocoa powder
Filling:
1 pound 1-ounce (500 grams) mascarpone
2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) caster sugar
2 egg yolks*
3.5 fluid ounces (100 milliliters) Vin Santo

4 to 5 shots espresso coffee
Tia Maria liqueur
3 1/2 ounces (110 grams) good-quality white chocolate, melted
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1 bar good-quality dark chocolate, for shavings

First make the sponge. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C /gas 4).
Whisk the sugar and eggs until they are at ribbon stage. Fold in the melted butter, then fold in the sifted flour and cocoa. Pour the mixture into a lined Swiss roll tin and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the sponge from the oven when it is done and leave to cool.

To make the filling, put the mascarpone, sugar, egg yolks, and Vin Santo into a bowl and mix until smooth.

To assemble the tiramisu, break up the sponge and press it into the bottom of a shallow dish. Drizzle over the coffee, Tia Maria, and white chocolate. Spoon over the mascarpone filling, then dust liberally with cocoa. Using a large knife, scrape the chocolate towards you to make shavings and arrange these delicately over the top.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Mar 07 11:22am

Mem

From Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Member since Mon 30 May 05

For something a bit different  big_smile

Tiramisu Cheesecake

Serves 8

1 cup strong brewed espresso coffee
14 sponge finger biscuits
500g cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250g carton sour cream

Topping:
1/3 cup cream
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
200g white chocolate, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 23cm (base) springform cake pan with baking paper. Grease sides.
2. Pour coffee into a shallow dish. Dip biscuits into coffee. Arrange over base of cake pan, breaking biscuits so base is completely covered.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs, a little at a time, mixing well. Stir in sour cream until just combined.
4. Pour mixture over biscuits. Place onto baking tray. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until centre is firm. Turn oven off. Leave door ajar for 3 hours.
5. To make topping: Heat cream and coffee in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until coffee has dissolved. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Pour over cheesecake. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 06 Mar 07 8:02am

Sanneke

Occupation secretary
From Belgium
Member since Sun 13 Aug 06

Tiramisu à la Sandra (4-6 servings)

1 1/2 dl strong coffee
1 small glass of Amaretto
175 gr boudoirs
250 gr mascarpone
1 1/4 dl yoghurt
125 gr ricotta
110 gr cane sugar
3 egg whites
cacao powder

Dip the boudoirs in the coffee and place in a nice dish (you can also make seperate portions as I tend to do).
Mix mascarpone, ricotta and yoghurt and add sugar.
Batter the egg whites and blend in with the cheese mixture.
Cover the boudoirs with the mixture.
Repeat the above and add a second layer.
Place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Cover with cocoa right before serving.
Enjoy !

You can replace the boudoirs with crumbled 'speculoos' (Belgian ginger and spice cookies) , best use cognac instead of Amaretto then.

Last edited by Sanneke (Tue 06 Mar 07 8:03am)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Mar 07 9:05am

little Patty

Member since Wed 10 Jan 07

Yes!!!

I have made many tiramisu in my life, but this one is the best so far, and a recent descovery!

adapted from the book
Sweet As, easy to make desserts and baked treats, by Alessandra Zecchini.

beat 3 egg whites (stiff). in another bowl beat 300 ml of whipping cream, and in another 3 egg yolks with 1 tbsp of sugar. then fold everything together, beating a little (it should be nice and foamy, not too runny). use one pack of savoiardi biscuits, soak, one by one, only the sugary side in a mixture of espresso (1 small cup) + 1 tsp sugar and 15ml whisky. use hald packet first and place   the biscuits, soaked side up, in a serving bowl. cover with half of the creamy mixture, then add a second layer of soaked biscuits, and top with the reast of the cream.
Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, and dust with (a lot of) ground espresso coffee (one hour before serving)

I can tell you that i will never use mascarpone again for a tiramisu (apparentely this used to be the poor Italians' tiramisu, because cream was cheaper) and also dusting with coffee, instead of cocoa! i couldn't believe it before trying, but the taste is amazing!

I hope you can understand the recipe, I didn't copy it word by word from the book because, althought I see a lot of people doing it, I think that it is probably illegal...if you can find the book there is also a Fruit of the Forest tiramisu (with mascarpone) but I will wait for the berry season to make it.

bye

little Patty

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 07 Mar 07 10:51am

elfy

From Singapore
Member since Wed 19 Apr 06

little Patty wrote:

use one pack of savoiardi biscuits, soak, one by one, only the sugary side in a mixture of espresso (1 small cup) + 1 tsp sugar and 15ml whisky.

use hald packet first

hi patty..i don't understand the above.....care to elaborate further?
thanks!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 07 Mar 07 12:44pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 08 Mar 07 5:59am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Strawberry Tiramisu Recipe

Ingredients

MASCARPONE, 1 pound
BRANDY, OR TIA MARIA, 1/2 cup
ESPRESSO, cold, 1/2 cup
EGGS, 4, separated
WHITE SUGAR, 1 cup
LADYFINGERS, 1-1/2 to 2 packages
SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE, 3 squares, grated
FRESH STRAWBERRIES, 1 quart
WHITE SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
BRANDY, 1/4 cup
Directions

Wash, hull and thickly slice the berries.
Pour the sugar and brandy over them and let them sit.
Beat egg yolks with the brandy until well-mixed.
Add the mascarpone and continue to beat until smooth.
Whip the egg whites until frothy, and gradually add the white sugar. Continue to beat until they are quite stiff.
Dip the ladyfingers, one by one (and quickly or they will get soggy) in the coffee, and put a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
Place a layer of strawberries on the ladyfingers.
Pour half the cheese mixture over the strawberries, and sprinkle half of the grated chocolate.
Repeat the layering, using the rest of the ladyfingers, strawberries, cheese mixture, and chocolate.
Chill for 4 to 6 hours.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 10 Mar 07 7:28am

little Patty

Member since Wed 10 Jan 07

Hy Elfy

basically you have one packet of savoiardi biscuits (or sponge biscuits) and you make a first layer using half of them.

the sponge biscuits have one sugary cruncy side and a spongy side. the book says that if you soak the spongy side it will become too soft, but if you soak the other side, and then place the biscuits with the soaked side facing up, the coffee will slowly trickle through, soaking all the biscuits perfectly without making them too mushy.

use the other half of the biscuits for a second layer.

the soaking mixture is made with coffee, whisky and a little sugar.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps

bye big_smile

little Patty

Likes (0)