Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Mar 07 11:06am

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Rubbing ribs

I want to cook ribs for dinner tonight, but I'd prefer not to use sugar in the rub or glaze.  Does anyone have any good ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 15 Mar 07 1:46pm

mercedes

Forum champ
Occupation Save a tree, eat a Beaver
From the boonies
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Rubbing ribs

do you still want them to be sweet Parsley?--------If so, slow cook for about 5 hours in apple juice---if you can fit them in a crock pot go that route, if not put em in a covered roasting pan in the oven at about 200f! Then add your rub or glaze as normal and BBQ!

If you don't want them to be sweet, let me know and I'll give you my cambodian famous rub recipe!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 15 Mar 07 1:58pm

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ

Can't do any sugar, so no apples I'm afraid!

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 15 Mar 07 2:29pm

mercedes

Forum champ
From the boonies

Okie dokie schmokey

Here goes nothing......and double this if you have more than one slab

6 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons ground sea salt
4 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 teaspoons ground oregano
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
you should probably slice up some fresh onions nice and fine maybe about a 1/4 cup's worth --they'll add a bit of sweetness (or use onion powder if you want--a teaspoon)

shake it all up in a container (except for the fresh onions), leave a little left over so that when your ribs are close to being done(I'd say about half an hour before taking them off) you can sprinkle some more

Also before you do the rub, I like to smear a really nice mustard over the ribs---it sorta helps the rub stick, mix the fresh onions and mustard up together keeps it's staying power that way--------and everything in life needs staying power tongue

Good luck Parsley

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Mar 07 2:31pm

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ

Ooh, Mercs, that sounds good!  If I get my broadband fixed at home I'll let you know how it goes.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Mar 07 2:42pm

mercedes

Forum champ
From the boonies

Okay, but lie if you didn't like them,

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Mar 07 4:31pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Those ribs sound great!  thumbsup Never tried to dry rub them ;-)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Mar 07 4:50pm

mercedes

Forum champ
From the boonies

Thanks LadyRed, I'm not often a recipe contributer--I'm not quite at Foodology status yet--but I try!

When we make this the mister makes a hickory smoked cherry sauce to go on top of the rub, but the bugger never wants to give up the recipe otherwise I'd post it too!! I do like the dry rubs though--gives it a nice crunchy crust!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 15 Mar 07 5:38pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hmmmm, smoked cherry sauce sounds great... have to bribe him into giveing you that one  big_smile

Can't wait for BBQ-Season to start! My first ever real BBQ-Season, as I never had a garden before ... So loads new stuff to try out!

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 15 Mar 07 9:37pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

How long do you leave the rub on for? Or do you just cook it in a very slow oven for a few hours?

I always gently boil my ribs first, and throw in an onion and whole peppercorns. Book that for an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours, enough so it's tender but not falling apart... then I put on a parchment lined pan and top with bbq sauce ( Diane's ) and drizzle with honey but I guess you can use whatever you like, and this is cooked for 40 minutes. At this point I get 2 whole garlic bulbs and wrap them tightly in parchment paper with S&P and a drizzle of OOil and cook them with the ribs. When the garlic is finished roasting and cooled, I put a clove or two on each rib portion. The garlic is sweet and adds a great flavour without all the garlic breath, lol!

Likes (0)