forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:35pm

Lemon_Meringue

From Sydney, Australia
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

What to cook for dinner!

I am such a lazy cook - I love it when I have the time to enjoy it and the money to buy the extra (non-cupboard stocked) ingredients. I especially loathe coming home from work and HAVING to cook & try and think of different things to cook every night, it drives me crazy! Instead of cooking from scratch I tend to buy those packaged meal bases.

Do you guys have any nice, easy recipes for after work dinners? I like most types of cuisines- especially Italian! But yeah, any new ideas would be welcomed & much appreciated!

Cheers xoxox wink

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 07 1:24pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: What to cook for dinner!

My suggestion for quick & easy tasty meals is to make a big batch of tomato based sauce once every 6 weeks or so, bottle it & keep it in the fridge... then just cook the pasta of your choice, add bacon, ham, chicken etc to sauce base & there you go.

I will post my sauce recipe for you tomorrow, but right now I have a cold & must go to bed.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 19 Mar 07 9:43am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Ok the sauce... its low fat & really good for you as well as being tasty.

3 onions
1 bulb garlic
2 carrots
2 sticks celery
1 capsicum

Peel & roughly chop all the veg.
Sweat in olive oil for 20 minutes over a very low heat with the lid on.

ADD: 4-6 tins of tomatoes, 1 tbls salt & some fresh parsley

You can also ADD: any of the following roughly chopped:
zuccini, eggplant, mushrooms, chillies, squash

Simmer the lot for 1-2 hours then BLEND with a hand mixer (or put thru the blender)

ADD:
1 cup red wine
500gm tomatoe paste
2 tbls dried mixed herbs
2 tbls sugar
1 tsp pepper

Simmer 10 minutes

Then bottle while still simmering, wait until cool & refridgerate.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Mar 07 4:59pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

TRY THINGS YOU CAN DO IN 1 POT...
PAELLA,
FRYING PORK CHOPS, THEN SAUTÉING POTATOES WHEN THE CHOPS ARE RESTING....

THINK ONE POT. IF YOU’RE LAZY

OH ANOTHER LAZY THING IS SOUPS, START WITH GOOD BASES AND WORK UP

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Mar 07 5:02pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

TRY THINGS YOU CAN DO IN 1 POT...
PAELLA,
FRYING PORK CHOPS, THEN SAUTÉING POTATOES WHEN THE CHOPS ARE RESTING....

THINK ONE POT. IF YOU’RE LAZY

OH ANOTHER LAZY THING IS SOUPS, START WITH GOOD BASES AND WORK UP

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Mar 07 6:02pm

supershedseven

Occupation Bank Official
From Belfast
Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

Hi Lemon

I myself have the same problem as you but what i find is a good tip is to write down all your dinners for a week on a saturday.  Get up nice and early and then do a big shop and make sure you know what your going for. So i think the best advise is to plan in advance.  Like below....

Saturday - Curry night, (always curry night with enough for an extra night)
Sunday - Fish Night ( whatever takes your fancy with some roast veg and lemon cous cous)
Monday - Chilli with Garlic Bread and Natcoes
Tuesday - Pasta Dish (basic, carbonnara, Red Wine, Spag Bol, whichever)
Wednesday - Curry night part 2 (curry and a beer for the footy)
Thursday - Chow mein (quick and simple)
Friday - Take out - in (Burgers, Hotdogs, Pasties, whichever you wish, make with very fine sliced parsnip and bake with a shake of oil and they come out like chips,  have a salad too)

Something like that  cool

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:42am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Keep cut up vegetables and salad makings handy too.  I quick flash of chicken and spices in a pan, a slice of good bread, and dump the chicken on the salad and off you go...

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 22 Mar 07 1:07am

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

i feel just like you, it helped me and my family making a menú, planning meals thinking of healthy and tasty things, and leaving two or three days "free" to try new recipes, it's usefull, at least there's no need to think, when you come tired from work, wish you luck and enjoy!!!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 22 Mar 07 2:37am

Denise K

Occupation Payroll clerk
From Leura, Blue Mts, Australia
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Hi Lemon
In most Coles or Woolies supermarkets you can buy Tilda rice which comes in a variety of flavours. You pop them in a microwave for 2 mins and they arent too bad for packet rice. Just dust some fresh fish fillets in flour with some nice spices through it and shallow fry it and serve with the rice. Or if you prefer meat based dishes, Asia at Home brand makes a nice Vietnamese Lemongrass marinade which is really nice stir fried with chicken , beef or lamb. You can serve it up with the Tilda rice. Easy peasy.
Another easy one if you like Calamari is cut up a tube of squid into rings, fry olive oil add some chilli, garlic and a few anchovie fillets ( they melt down when fried) and add the rings of squid. I serve it with potato and its delish!! Happy cooking.

Denise  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 22 Mar 07 8:19pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

make your own 'packaged' meals!

take a large piece of foil, throw everything into it, fold the foil around and scrunch closed to seal everything in. bung it in the oven for 40mins or so and presto!! ready to eat homemade tv dinner!

obviously this works better with things that need a short cooking time, like fish or chicken breast, stay away from tough cuts of meat and try experimenting with different ingredients.
throw all your veg. in aswell, some herbs, spices, lemon juice or wine then if you still want something on the side just put a pan of rice or pasta on to cook and relax with a cuppa while it all takes care of itself....

cheers.

el.

Likes (0)