forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Mar 07 4:30pm

Sarie-Lou

Member since Fri 23 Mar 07

Wedding menus!

Hi, I'm Sarie-Lou and after some inspiration from everyone out there.  I'm getting married in September and am doing by best to plan a wedding while keeping costs to a minimum (leaving more of the budget left over for a honneymoon to die for!).  A buffet seems to be the way to go but sausage rolls and vol-au-vents sound so...done before.  Any ideas of something that will wow and impress my guests without breaking the budget?  Anything we could make in advcance and freeze would excite me greatly!!  Here comes the bride!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 26 Mar 07 8:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Wedding menus!

Welcome to the forums Sarie-Lou  smile

Buffet food,

I think that you would need at least half a dozen good and interesting salads as well as a green salad.

A whole Salmon always looks impresive, as do large joints of roast meat but you will have to have someone to carve and serve.

Individual quiche and mini savory tarts, mini pizza's with exciting toppings.

Little crostini and brushetta with lovely toppings.

Little baby aubergine that have been stuffed with a tomato , garilc and onion filling.

Salads..

Carrot , honey and lemon salad...
Good quality carrots grated and mixed a few  plump raisins
with the juice and zest of lemons, a little honey and a dash of seseme oil added as a dressing. ( best prepared the night before needed as the carrots let out the juices and these will mingle with the lemon juice honey and sessame oil.).
before serving mix in a few toasted sesame seeds ( optional).

Coegette, Parmasan and Lemon Salad,

This is one of Georgie's salada ( georgie is a forum moderator), Ah now let me see if I can remember just what she put in this salad.! its realy good and worth trying....

You need corgettes that you slice extreemly thinly lenghtways, use either a mandoline or a potatoe peeler.
squeeze over some fresh lemon juice and add a little olive oil, season with a little salt and fresh pepper.
before serving stir in a genorous amount of fresh parmasan shavings.

I might have written this down wrong but when I make it like this it works for me! I hope that Goergie will look at this and write it down a bit better for you.

Cous-Cous with roasted vegetables .
speaks for itself!!...oven roast some lovely coloured sweet peppers,and other vegetables.
mix it all into the cous cous with some lovely fresh fine chopped mint or basil.

I hope that this is helpfull.
I am sure that others will add things . thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Mar 07 9:27am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Salmon with Tomato and Brie Tartlets

Ingredients

1 lb. frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/4 lb. canned salmon, picked over and mashed
3 oz. Brie cheese, sliced
2 tomatoes\cooked, sliced
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt (optional), or to taste

Instructions
Preheat oven to temperature 400°F. Roll out pastry thinly on a floured
work surface. Cut out 12
3 inch rounds with a fluted pastry cutter. Line bottoms of
large muffin tins with pastry rounds. Divide mashed salmon between
each. Top with the Brie and tomato slices. Combine remaining
ingredients in a bowl and beat until mixed thoroughly. Pour equal
amounts in each tart. Bake 10-15 minutes, until filling is
set and lightly browned. Serve hot or cold

Chicken Scampi

INGREDIENTS
5 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch strips
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup white wine
DIRECTIONS
Combine chicken with ground pepper, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt, oregano, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and wine in a shallow bowl. Marinate in the refrigerator for several hours (overnight is best).
Preheat broiler. Remove chicken from marinade (save marinade) and place in a shallow pan. Broil 8 inches from heat, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 15 minutes).
In a small saucepan, bring marinade to a boil. Pour over chicken, toss and serve.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Mar 07 10:13am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hiya Sarie-Lou,

Great to see you are planning a wedding with an eye to keeping the costs within reason. Far too many people treat weddings as an extravaganza - and regret it later.

I've just retired as a vicar (after more thn 30 years). I hve officited at many weddings, and one thing which I hae obsered is that the LESS people spend on their wedding day, the MORE likely their marriage will last. Trust me on this one - I've seen it too many times!

We had a similar thread a couple of months ago:-

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic.php?id=22610

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Mar 07 2:25pm

beckybloo

Occupation student
From Italy
Member since Sat 24 Mar 07

Hi sarie-lou! Many compliments and good luck for your wedding!!!
kisses
bck

Likes (0)