forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 28 Mar 07 3:27am

abonnie

Member since Wed 28 Mar 07

Knives

I am looking to buy some new knives, what are a good brand to buy and what types of knives should I buy? I know I can buy a knife block but some sets have alot of knives that I do not know if I would use. Can someone pls let me know what types of knives make up a good set.
Any ideas?

AB

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 28 Mar 07 9:19am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Knives

You can buy knives individually. Victorinox is a good brand that is value for money.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 28 Mar 07 10:56pm

itsdanny

Occupation Web Gimp
From W Yorks
Member since Mon 14 Aug 06

I agree with TWR on both points. Victorinox are good quality, afforable knives. The wooden handled, rivetted ones are also really nice to handle. an excellent blade also with no chunky metal bit on the heal like sabatier. Though i've both brands plus a Tojiro Senku, which is the mutts nutts but in no way a novice's knife (no insult intended).
itsdanny

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 29 Mar 07 9:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

i've got the victorinox with the plastic fibrox handle - it's good

if you have tiny hands you may want to consider globals but they are expensive

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 03 Apr 07 6:37am

EvieMT

Member since Mon 02 Apr 07

Hi!

I really like Global knives, they're a one piece stainless, very nice weight to them, easy to handle and they come in sets and also separately. I bought a set of 7 online and were considerably less expensive than you'd pay in a regular shop and for each individually.
I'm a home cook and I use all of the knives in the set. We inherited a set of Wiltshire Professional set with wooden handles but the blade is so thick that they "split" hard things like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc. I only use the smallest one, I don't have tiny hands...or at least I don't think so... big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 03 Apr 07 3:42pm

canuckcook

From Canada
Member since Wed 01 Nov 06

I have large "mitts" and my collection of Global knives keeps on growing.  They are a really nice knife, good balance, and they hold an edge very well.  I say give globals a try.   thumbsup

Likes (0)