forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 05 Apr 07 12:04am

Twinklea

Occupation Stay at home mum, chief cook and bottle washer
From oxfordshire
Member since Wed 04 Apr 07

What are your kids eating at school?

I was just wondering what peoples kids are eating in school?

I'm currently battling to get my kids school to stick to the bloody guidelines, because they are still feeding them sausages, sausage rolls, and poxy cheese flan fgs. theres never anything remotely decent available, and i'm sick of hearing that they had coleslaw AGAIN.

I have 4 kids, 1 is an incredibly fussy eater, but i'm cruel and still make her atleast try things. Another of mine has to be kept on a fairly strict diet because shes hyperactive. School has a problem with this and STILL they feed these kids crap like chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce, choc ices, recycling left overs into shepherds pie etc.

I'm glad Jamie brought the state of school dinners into the public and has done all this to help imporve then. Lets hope more schools catch on a bit quicker.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 05 Apr 07 8:03am

schoolcook

Occupation school cook/ chef
From north west
Member since Wed 11 Oct 06

Re: What are your kids eating at school?

Twinklea
may I suggest you make an appointment with your schools catering manager b4 condeming school dinners, Im sure they have plenty of healthy options for your children to eat, and if your children are as fussy as you make out you can see 4 yourself the food thats on offer, school meal services are only to pleased to have parents visiting with constructive ideas, after all the children only let u know 1/2 a tale (I too have 3 fussy eaters + they are always well fed at school).
Typical days menu from my childrens high school

Selection of freshly made sandwiches/ salads

Hot fresh chicken wraps with salad in
Roast of the day(veggie option available)
Chicken in breadcrumbs
Wholemeal pizza (veggie n meat options)
Pasta dish
curry of the day
All served with a choice of potato/pasta/vegetables/rice
Fish is served 2 x per week on hot menu
Desserts r all h/made
jelly
fresh fruit salads
choice of fruit bowl
hot fruit sponge /fruit crumble+ custard

Hope this gives you some ideas thumbsup
SK

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 05 Apr 07 9:41am

ozzygirl

From Queensland, Australia
Member since Thu 05 Apr 07

I have a fussy 3 yr old that likes something one day and then doesn't the next. We live in Australia and don't have school dinners although schools do have canteens.
Try the following:
- marinated chicken wings
- apricot balls (200gms dried apricots, 2 tb wheatgerm, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/4 cup almonds (optional) throw everything in  blender, form into small balls and roll in extra coconut
pinwheel sandwiches ( spread cream cheese, ham, shredded carrot etc on a tortilla and roll. Slice. Keeps well in freezer and put 3-4 in lunchbox.
-container of grapes
-crackers (soy and linseed is good) and cubes of cheese (try different types of cheese)
-aprocot or sultana bread with cream cheese or butter
- packs of sultanas/dried aprcots and apples
-carrot sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese
rice salad- mix cold rice with corn kernals, chopped capsicum, feta, spring onion and shredded chicken
Goodluck!!!!!
-
-

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 05 Apr 07 11:55am

Twinklea

Occupation Stay at home mum, chief cook and bottle washer
From oxfordshire
Member since Wed 04 Apr 07

Thanx ozzygirl, i'll give those a try!!

As for school dinners, i'm hoping to go into the school after easter, but this is a primary school, and i honestly am not just condemning the school on the word of my younger 2. My 11 year old is very much a health freak when it comes to her food, and we have been making a note of ALL the meal options available EVERY day, for the last few weeks. I have also spoken to other pupils.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 05 Apr 07 1:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Twinkleea, most school authorities put the menu up on the internet so that the parents can see whats on offer.
It might be worth you checking this out.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 06 Apr 07 12:52am

ozzygirl

Sorry made a mistake in the above- you can freeze the apricot balls not the pinwheel sandwiches.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 06 Apr 07 2:34am

ozzygirl

Just found this great recipe for muesli bars. Really simple and best of all they do not have any butter honey or sugar so they are a great replacement for those horrible bars you buy at the supermarket. You can also play around with the recipe and add different things like nuts, peanut butter, seeds etc.
Make a batch of these, cut into slices and freeze individually. Then all you have to do is grab a packet out of the freezer and throw into a lunchbox. They are also really nice with a little bit of greek yogurt. lol

Ingredients
1 cup (150g) sultanas
1 cup (140g) chopped dried apricots (or dried fruit medley)
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup (150g) pitted prunes
1/2 cup (25g) flaked coconut, toasted*
1 cup (100g) toasted rolled oats**
1/2 cup (40g) wheatgerm
1/2 cup (75g) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup skim milk powder

Method
In a medium saucepan, combine sultanas, apricots and orange juice. Bring to the boil, stir for one minute, cover with lid and turn off heat.

When cool, combine with prunes, coconut, rolled oats, wheatgerm, sunflower seeds and milk powder.

Press mixture into an oiled 20cm (8") square cake tin. Press down well with hands to compact mixture. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Makes 16 square bars

* Toast coconut on a dry frying pan, over medium heat, taking care it does not burn.

* * Toast oats on a flat baking tray in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice until oats are golden brown. Cool before use.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 18 Apr 07 10:58pm

HappyZombie

Occupation student
From Werdohl, Germany
Member since Sat 07 Apr 07

at school i eat nothing. i only drink sprinkling water

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 21 Apr 07 3:00pm

Arthur

From Hampshire
Member since Thu 09 Jun 05

my kids are eatin

Homemade baked organic meatbals in a homemade tomato sauce with pasta, fresh carrots and salad and ice cream with homemade fruity oaty cookies

homemade pizza with jacket wedges, sweetcorn and salad and homemade strawberry crisp cakes

Homemade sweetpotato and lentil curry with rice

Homemade chicken and potato bake with fresh broccoli and salad and homemade apricot and apple swiss tart and custard

homemade potato and vegetable layer with peas and salad and homemade banana cake and milk

Homemade cheese and vegetable crispy bake

Homemade pork casserole with rice

Homemade cheese and potato pie

Homemade spaghetti bolognaise

Homemade hastings fish cakes

Homemade italian tomato pasta

Homemade fruit muffins and milk

Homemade Dorset apple sponge

Homemade oaty flapjacks

Homemade chocolate crispies

Pork, chicken and beef roast with  fresh cauliflower and carrots

And they are allowed to have fresh fruit and  homemade baked fresh bread

All of this thoroughout the weeks for £1.80 a day- great value- good wholesome, nutritious food to help with learning at school and all cooked by Hampshire's School cooks in each school's kitchen.

Arthur

Likes (0)