forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 06 Apr 07 12:01pm

AliceR

From North Devon
Member since Mon 28 Nov 05

sweet mama squash

I've just received a sweet mama squash in my organic veg box delivery and was wondering if anyone has any interesting recipes. Cheers! Alice

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 06 Apr 07 12:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: sweet mama squash

Welcome to the forums AliceR smile .. I have never tied a Sweet Mama Squah, I have had a quick look on the BBC site and it suggests that you simply cut of the top and bake...I presume that you scoop out the seeds before you do this!!
By all acounts it seemd like the skin is pretty tough to cut through so be careful.

I would be incilined to cut it into wedges and remove the peel , sprinkle a little olive oil,freshly ground pepper , and roast it in the oven !
But as I have never cooked or eaten it.... there might be a better way of cooking it!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 06 Apr 07 6:07pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Sweet Squash Slaw Recipe

Servings: 4
Serving Size: cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

-   1 pound sweet squash, raw 
-   1/2 cup raisins 
-   1/3 cup light mayonnaise 
-   1/2 teaspoon celery seed 
-   1 teaspoon sugar 
-   1 teaspoon (to 2 teaspoons) lemon juice, fresh, adjust to taste 
  salt, to taste 
  black pepper, freshly ground, to taste

Directions

Grate squash coarsely in a medium bowl. Add raisins and toss.

In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, celery seeds, sugar and lemon juice. Pour mixture over the grated squash mixture and blend.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill before serving.

Sweet Squash and Cranberry Muffins Recipe

Serving Description: approximately 12 large muffins or 24 mini muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

-   2 1/4 cups all purpose flour 
-   1 cup granulated sugar 
-   1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
-   1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
-   1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 
-   2 teaspoons baking soda 
-   1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
-   1/2 teaspoon salt 
-   1 cup squash, cooked, mashed 
-   1 egg, large, beaten 
-   3/4 cup vegetable oil 
-   1/2 cup milk, fat free 
-   1 cup cranberries, fresh, coarsely chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 375º F. Line muffin tins with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, beat eggs, oil, milk and squash until combined. Add mixture to dry ingredients until just combined, do not over mix. Fold in cranberries.

Fill muffin tins 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake large muffins 17-20 minutes, mini muffins 15-17 minutes.

Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If toothpick is clean when removed, the muffins are done. Cool on wire rack.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 10 Apr 07 9:07am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Creamed Squash with Coriander Pesto

Ingredients
1 small pumpkin or two squashes (butternut, sweet mama), about a kilo of flesh when prepared
olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
salt and black pepper
30 g butter
For the pesto
I bunch fresh coriander leaves, washed, including stalks
4 large garlic cloves
60g pinenuts
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper

Method
Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Peel off the tough skin and chop the flesh into small pieces. Sweat the onion in the olive oil for a few minutes until soft but not brown. Add the pumpkin and cook for another couple of minutes, then pour over enough to stock to scarcely cover the pumpkin flesh. Simmer gently until the pumpkin is tender. Purée until smooth, return to the pan and reheat, adding enough stock to get the texture you like.

To make the pesto, pound together the coriander, garlic and pinenuts with a pestle and mortar to make a smooth paste (or do this in a food processor), then stir in the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve the soup hot with a generous spoonful of pesto in each bowl.

Likes (0)