forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Mon 15 Nov 04 4:39am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: Foodology

Hi Mary...it sounds really good,I like the side of roasted garlic smashed potatoes,maybe a crunch salad to go with the dish to cut thru the rich flavours of the meat.

Difficult to get good quality prime rib however,will try my best to do so. Have to watch the cost too...that day at the supermarket,get this...a leg of lamb costs S$60 and I saw a prime rib roast cut too...really expensive and didn't look that good.
Hopefully since Christmas is arriving,they will import better quality meats.  roll

Likes (0)

#62 Mon 15 Nov 04 6:33pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Mary, Hi Stefanie!!

Here are some of the recipes:

Mediterranean fish soup
-----------------------
1 big onion, chopped
1 big head of fennel, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
2 springs of parsley
2 springs of thyme
1 strip orange peel
800 g cod fillet (or other white fish), skinned cut into 5cm pieces.
2 liters fish stock
pinch of cyenne pepper or chili
few strands of saffron
salt + pepper

Heat olive oil in a large pan and add onion, fennel and garlic. Cook for some minutes to soften. Stir in tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and orange peel and seasoning. Simmer for 5 min.

Pour in the fish stock and simmer for aprox 15 min   until fennel is very soft.

Add fish and boil until just done - about 3 min. Take out a few pieces of fish for garnish and puree the rest of the soup. Adjust seasoning.

Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and fish filet and serve with white bread.

Elk
----
1 kg elk meat (stewing meat)
3 carrots, roughly chopped
2 onions, roughly chopped
1/2 head of celleriac, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, halved
spring of thyme
spring of rosemary
1 bayleaf
black pepper, cloves, juniper berries, allspice all slightly crushed
salt
pepper
stock
150 g creme fraiche
2 tbsp flour
1 glass red wine
lingonberry jelly
dark soy sauce
butter

Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat butter in a dutch ofen and brown meat. Remove meat and add vegetables. Stir until they start to take on colour. Add thyme, bay leaf, black pepper, cloves, juniper berries, allspice, rosemary, red wine, lingonberry jelly and meat. Add so much stock that meat is just covered.
Cover with a lid and put in the oven at 160°C for about 1 1/2 hours until very tender.
Take out the meat and strain off the liquid. Reheat the liquid and adjust seasoning with soy, lingonberry jelly, salt and pepper. Mix creme fraiche with some of the liquid and flour and mix into the sauce.
Traditionally this is served with mashed potatoes, brussle sprouts, baby carrots etc.

Likes (0)

#63 Mon 15 Nov 04 6:57pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Mary,

oops slight misunderstanding - we have a special kind of rainbow-trout which has pink coloured meat like a salmon, which is called "Salmontrout" if you translate it word by word --> probably called something else... But I think you could also use salmon...

450g fish fillets, skinned
115g coarse sea salt
8 asparagus, cooked cut into 5mm cubes
1/2 cucumber, deseeded, cut into 5mm cubes
Black pepper

for the marinade:
500ml Olive oil
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp chopped herbes (eg basil, tarragon, lemon balm)
6 cloves garlic, cut into halve

For the anchovy majonaise:
2 egg yorks
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp coars mustard
4 anchovy fillets, in oil, chopped
5 basil leaves, chopped
200 ml olive oil
1 tbsp hot water

Day before:
Cover both sides of the fish fillet in coarse seasalt and let rest for 1 1/2 hours in the fridge.
Wash off the salt and pat dry.
Mix all ingrediences for the marinade, put the fish in a bowl and cover with marinade. Chill over night.

Next day:
Make the anchovy majonais by mixing all ingrediences appart from the olive oil and water in a food processor. Start adding olive oil slowly and keep mixing. Add hot water. Season with black pepper.

Shortly before serving:
Take the fish out of the marinade and cut into small dices. Mix with cucumber, asparagus and majonnais and season with pepper.

Serve with white bread and white wine.

Other serving suggestion:
Serve with a gazpacho dressing, poached quail egg and a dollop of caviar...

All the best!
Claudia

ps have never tasted beef tatar - but as I like my steak medium to rare and love fish tatar, it looks like something worth a try!! Any great recipes for that??

Likes (0)

#64 Tue 16 Nov 04 7:52am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Sounds like a plan. If you go with it, let me know how it turns out. I hear you on the expensive cuts of meat. For better cuts of meat, possibly try your local butcher? Have fun with it Stef.!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#65 Tue 16 Nov 04 8:52am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi Claudia,
Wow, those recipes are excellent. Thank you so much for sharing. : ) The soup is awesome, the elk is making my mouth water.....love the combo of the whole thing. Okay now, the trout tartare is the bomb (really good!)........really like all the flavours going there; the gazpacho dressing sounds like the perfect adjunt. You go girl. Can't wait to try these out. I believe we have that specific trout available here.....

Here's the recipe for the beef tartare. Once you have yielded the finished product put on your favourite bread, butter fried croutons, etc....

Beef Tartare

Tenderloin Of Beef, raw, chopped small rough dice
lemon zest
shallot, fine choped
chives, fine chopped
boiled eggs (whites and yolk), fine chopped
lemon juice
dijon mustard
capers, rough chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
*whole grain mustard for garnish
bread / croutons

In a large medium or large bowl place all of the ingredients. You want just a bit of the dijon mustard (you don't want to overwhelm with it). The other ingredients, just put in a pinch here and there. Taste.....you should be able to taste a little bit of everything....nice lemony, briney taste with the capers. I love it on croutons with a beautiful red wine. Didn't put exact measurements, if you have a question please let me know.
Hope you enjoy it!

Likes (0)

#66 Tue 16 Nov 04 8:59am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Whew! Just finished a paper pretty challenging...it was a Chinese Studies paper...never again! My dad made me take chinese studies...man is it tough... roll

Mary,will let you know how it turned out,I cannot wait to get a good prime rib so I can try out your delicious recipe!

Claudia...your soup sounds good...orange and fennel together with the seafood...wow! I have my doubts about the cod being able to be pureed to a smooth soup though...won't there be stringy bits of cod in the soup? Claudia did you process it in a blender or a Magimix chopper or what? Stupid question I know...hee hee but just wanted to double check!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#67 Tue 16 Nov 04 9:17am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

2 cups Roasted Pumpkin, puree
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cans evaporated milk
12 egg yolks
good pinch allspice
good pinch cinnamon
brown sugar
vanilla pod
granulated sugar
water

Roast pumpkin generously sprinkled with brown sugar, allspice, and cinnamon. After roasting remove the skin, place in food processor. Add vanilla seeds (split pod in half and scrape seeds out). Puree until smooth.
In a large bowl whish together pumpkin puree, 12 egg yolks, condensed, and evaporated milk. Mix ingredients well until well combined. Set aside.
In an ovenproof pot make caramel with sugar and water. When caramel consistency is reached, pick up the pot and swirl the caramel on the bottom and all the way around on the sides. Make sure the pot gets a good coating of the caramel.
Put the pumpkin flan mixture into the pot with the caramel. Place the pot with the mixtute in a roasting pan with water (bain marie). Make sure the roasting pan has water in it at all times. Cover the pot with the mixture with foil and a lid that fits. Put in the middle tray of oven at about 315 - 325 degrees F. Cooked covered for 1 hour. Remove cover and cook for one more hour.
Remove from oven and let cool. You'll see the caramel on the outside edges of the flan. OK, after the cooling process comes the tricky part. Get a large platter and put on top of the pot with the flan mixture. Quickly flip it and it should unmold beautifully. I'm sure you'll get it, no problem. Place in the fridge and there you go a beautiful pumpkin confection. The presentation is lovely, a beautiful thick custard with caramel on top and on the sides. When serving, slice a nice wedge and spoon the caramel sauce on top. You can garnish with any fruit of your choice or mint leaf. Enjoy!

big_smile

Hope all is cool in Vienna!

Likes (0)

#68 Tue 16 Nov 04 6:47pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Mary!

Thanks for the recipes! I'll definately give the beef tartar a try soon - sounds yummy!!!

But I've got a question to the pumpkin flan - what is condensed milk and evaporated milk and what is the difference? I looked it up in the dictionary and it translates to the same word in German, which I don't know...

As for the trout tartare - it's really lovely you've got to try it ;-) And it's also from wonderful cookbook by Jean-Christophe Novelli with the most beautiful pictures imaginable ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … mp;s=books ). He always suggests an easy version and one maginficently presented! BTW in german the book is called "Cooking for all senses" which I find much more apropriate then the English version "Your place or mine?"

Well it is cool in Vienna --> about 0°C and cold wind **shudder** But not everything else... This week seems to becoming the toughest yet conserning work... Nearing the end/deadline of an IT project and not everything is turning out as it should **big shigh** Well no use shedding any tears now it's evening and I just took out a few shrimps to go with black spaghetti!

Have a nice - not too stressful week!
ciao
Claudia

Likes (0)

#69 Tue 16 Nov 04 6:55pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Stef!

Oh Chinese Studies - that sounds a tough one! But it's a great feeling to have a paper finally finished, bound and handed in! How much longer do you have? Exams must be over soon and then it's time to celebrate **big smile**

I hope I'll be in celebrating mood soon too, because right now my present project is nagging me, kind of Friday the 13th every day!!

As for the soup - in the recipe it said to strain off the liquid and puree it together with just a bit of the liquid in a magimix kind of thing and then strain it to a sieve. That should get rid of all stringy bits. I thought that was a bit too fiddely so I just mixed it with a Bermixer / Immersion Blender for quite some time until very "fluffy"... Worked quite well too...

Likes (0)

#70 Tue 16 Nov 04 7:49pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hey Claudia,
Tough project huh, I'm sure that with your tenacity and dilligence you will get it all done. I love a good challange...........sometimes they do exhaust me, but it's well worth it when there is a positive end result.
Claudia, it's sweetened condensed milk (sorry about that, I forgot to put that in; I'm freakin tired as well...) and evaporated milk. Here's a couple of links explaining the difference.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=defm … rated+Milk

www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=defm … ensed+Milk

Hey Stefanie,
Chinese studies......what all is involved in this course? It sounds interesting. Well, you are done with that part of it. Let us know how it turned out. Take care and rest on your down time.

All The Best,
Mary
big_smile

** Yeah, Bermixer.....that's what I thought. ; )

Likes (0)