forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#71 Wed 17 Nov 04 8:49am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: Foodology

Mary...my papers are till this Friday...I'm counting the days till I can fling off my pencil box into the air and dance wildly around my lecturer...ah well we know the dancing will never happen,it's just too embarrassing in public haha! Chinese studies involve exploring origins of the chinese language,back to the old ancient times when the language evolved from pictography to proper words. Also involves chinese history of countless chinese emperors too(now why were there so many??? *grumbles*)...we study the social issues/problems they had back then blah blah then we write long long essays stating our opinions on argumentatve questions. The bad thing is finding the best ways to put it across so you sound really learned and articulate to the examiner! Awww mannn...  roll

Claudia...got it,I do not have a Bermixer but I will experiment see how it goes...hey if all doesn't work out,I can always fling the soup across the wall to my neighbour's dog who um...eats anything. Haha...you hang in there your project will be over soon before you know it! Reward yourself with a treat/a nice meal when you've submitted the project.
Go on then...you know you deserve it!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#72 Wed 17 Nov 04 9:28am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Hey Claudia,
I forgot to mention on plating the beef tartare, get a nice round plate, make a nice design on the plate with the whole grain mustard out of a sqeeze bootle, if you have a ring mold (round), just put it in the center of the plate and pack it in with the beef tartare. You can sprinkle some capers, chopped boiled eggs, herbs used in making the tartare, croutons, and top the tartare with some micro greens.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#73 Wed 17 Nov 04 9:31am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hey Stef.,
Wow, sounds really intense and detailed. You crack me up with the "so many Chinese Emperors". There sure are a lot of them. Well, good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine and articulate well. Friday is almost here. Take care.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#74 Wed 17 Nov 04 9:51am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Mmmmmmmm, tonight for an Amuse Gouche / Geul, on small square plates I put on a round crispy fried corn tortilla, shaved pear and put it on top of the tortilla, drizzled with just a bit of lemon juice, on top of that put a nice piece of Ahi Tuna (sushi grade tuna), a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a little dab of guacamole, a little bit of Pico De Gallo, and finished with a leaf of cilantro. On the square plate made a squiggly design with Spicy Tomato Glaze out of a squeeze bottle (recipe in New Year's Festivities thread) and put the amuse gouche right on top of the design. It turned out really well. People liked it so much that they were ordering them for appetizer and entree size portions. If you can get the ingredients, try it. The presentation is stunning.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#75 Thu 18 Nov 04 6:32pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Mary!

Just stole a few minutes to get online and take my mind of other things - work. It's true that I can't work without any pressure but sometimes it's exsasperating, especially if it is caused because someone else slacking off and not delivering what you need to go on in time. But now I'm nearly finishd **big cheery smile** !!!!

Thanks for the info and ideas to amuse... I love those little titbits to start with...!

One of my favourits was thin slices of smoked duckbreast served on a little salad of very very finely shredded chinese cabbage, spring onion and a dressing with honey, truffle mustard, olive oil and a bit of vinegar, served in one of those chinese spoons... lovely!

Hope everything is ok in Miami!!
ciao
Claudia

Likes (0)

#76 Sun 21 Nov 04 10:30am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

The little mini duck salad amuse sounds great. Thanks for the recipe.
When you have time, please post some more of your lovely recipes.
If you try any of the ones I posted, let me know how they turn out.
Lately, we have come up with some really delicious dishes. I'll give you an update on these soon.
If you ever get a chance, try Kumomoto oysters. They are rather small in size, but pack a whalop in taste. They are really good. Ask your local fish monger about them.
Until next time, take care and be well.

All The Best,
Ciao,
Mary
big_smile

P.S.  I'll also try to get some more recipes form Colombia as well.

Likes (0)

#77 Mon 22 Nov 04 7:56am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hey Claudia,
Here's a couple of food items that I would like to suggest you try, if you are able to locate them (?).
Try the grapple (pronounced like grape L). It looks like an apple, but has the taste of a grape. Interesting and good.
There's an olive oil out of California with blood oranges. It is sooooooo delicious. It's made with the first pressing of Mission olives and oragnic blood oranges. It's great on salads, carpaccio's, etc.........
Oh yeah, and if you ever get a chance to try Kobe (from Japan) beef, please do so. It is so unbelievably out of this world.

Just thought I'd share some other stuff with you. If you ever get around to trying these, let me know your thoughts. Take care and be well.

Ciao,
Mary  big_smile

Likes (0)

#78 Mon 22 Nov 04 9:08am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hey Mary,

long time no see - I decided to take a computer-free weekend ;-)

Those food items you mentioned sound delicious! I love differnet olive oils (flavoured or pure) and the blood orange one sounds wodnerful. I tried some normal orange, lime and lemon. All three of which go wonderful on top of grilled (white) fish fillet. All three of which I got at a local producer who previously was very well known for vinegar but some years ago started experiamenting with oil too ( http://www.gegenbauer.at/en/html-en/pro … sp?lang=en ). It's fun to shop there and try all differnt oils/vinegars with a bit of bread ;-)

Only recently I found elderberry, peach and rasberry vinegar - all three of them very dark and fraquent like balsamico vinegar. Have you tried something similar? I love the amazing fruity flavour and just a few drops go well on a salad, cured meat, cheese or even dessert.....

I'll have a look-out for the funny apple you mentioned. Sounds like something fun to try! There are not many shops around where to find "exotic" stuff - well actually only one - but it's heaven to go there (and always to much money spent...)

Have a nice start into the week! (or is it your weekend now, as you have to work real weekends?)

ciao

Claudia

p.s. I'll let you know when I tried some of your recipes out! I really look forward to that coconut-rice but haven't had time yet! Let me know if you tried anything too ;-)

p.p.s. will post some more recipes soon - hard to decide on which though ;-)

p.p.p.s. snow flakes keep falling on my head **trallalalalala**

Likes (0)

#79 Mon 22 Nov 04 6:18pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Mary,

as a change a very rustic pasta dish which I had as lunch this weekend and turned out lovely...

Pici alla salsiccia e funghi
----------------------------
(sounds much better then pici with sausages and mushrooms ;-))
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
300 g salsiccia (Italian fresh meat sausage), skin removed and plucked apart
300 g wild mushrooms (like chanterelle or if unavailable brown button mushrooms), thickly sliced
450 g plum tomatoes (fresh or canned)
2 tbsp thyme leaves
fresh pici or tagiatelle
salt + pepper

Heat olive oil in a large pan. Cook sausage meat until slightly browned. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 min. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for aprox 20 min. Meanwhile cook the pasta and mix with the sauce when finished.
Serve with loads of parmesan...

I know using sausages doesn't really sound posh or tempting but those Italian sausages are wonderful. If not available you can use any good quality fresh meat sausage.

ciao ;-)
Claudia

ps When looking for a rillette recipe I found an interesting looking recipe for French mackerele rillete. Haven't tried it yet though, but if you like I can post it anyway... BTW have you ever made duck or pork rillettes. I had some recently but never tried making them myself... (know has about a million callories, but quite nice if you only eat very little ;-)

Likes (0)

#80 Tue 23 Nov 04 7:34pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Wow, thank you very much for the rustic pasta dish. I love Italian sausage and mushrooms! I feel that many times, the most simplest of dishes yield grand results. Posh is also great, every once in a while, when a either a great treat is merited or "just because". ; ) So, I hear ya and understand ya.
Please post the rillet recipe and any other one your heart desires.
I love rillet! I have made beef, duck, pork, and tuna rillet. The flavour is amazing! Yeah, loads of calories, but lovely. Like you say have a little bit and not every day! I basically use the confit cooking method for my rillet.
Thanks so much for the link, it looks like the kind of place that I would probably spend hours in. : )

Right on with snow flakes in Vienna, sounds beautiful!

Ciao,
Mary  big_smile

Likes (0)