forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Apr 07 12:05pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Cold duck - any ideas on how to use?

I've got half a cold duck sitting in my fridge, and would love it if anyone had any good recipes or ideas on using it for a family supper tonight!  I'm fresh out of inspiration  oops   Needs to be dairy and orange free .....

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 10 Apr 07 12:31pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Cold duck - any ideas on how to use?

Salad?

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 10 Apr 07 12:39pm

AndyH

Occupation Drinks Taster
From Beer Garden
Member since Sun 04 Jul 04

how about shredding it and making wraps with tortillas using spring onions (finely sliced length ways), cucumber(seeded and cut into sticks) and either plum sauce or hoi sin sauce your choice

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 10 Apr 07 1:47pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

I think the wraps may well be the way to go as the duck was cooked with honey and sesame seeds - but I am nervous that my two youngest may well compare it unfavourably with our local chinese restaurants crispy duck .... lol   I had wondered about stuffed pancakes, but not sure how the flavours would work .....?

Salad would be great, but my OH seems to feel that it is an inadequate evening meal   roll   

The other option could be a stir fry ...

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 10 Apr 07 6:50pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Or you can use it in a yummi soup?

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 10 Apr 07 9:22pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Salad would be great or shreded in a light consomme style thing... (clear soup)...

I'm not too sure about the pancakes though...

How about shreding it too and making a sauce, and using it the same way you would with beef / lamb to make a cottage / shepherd's pie... peas, carrots and mashed potatoes...

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 10 Apr 07 11:00pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

lol  sorry, but here in Germany "cold duck" (Kalte Ente) is a punch - rather out of fashion nowadays though

(it's made from 2  bottles of (Mosel) white wine, 1 bottle of champagne, 1-2 lemons (rind and juice) and sugar to taste. Add the rind (no white stuff so it doesn't turn bitter) and juice to the wine so it can soak a bit. Add champagne before serving.)
lol

Sorry Olivia, I know I am of no help, but I thought it was rather funny.  whistle

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 10 Apr 07 11:02pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Oh, but at least the recipe is dairy and orange free....  whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 10 Apr 07 11:29pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

used to do a smoked duck salad in a restaurant i worked in a few years back.

it was served with raspberry vinagrette and was delicious.

may be worth a try.

el.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 11 Apr 07 9:27am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Well, I used some gluten-free sping roll wraps I gave my OH a while ago (which were completely disgusting  lol ), and cut a carrot and a courgette into julienne strips, did the same with a bunch of spring onions, and put a mixture of pancakes, bread, normal rolls, and sauces on the table, along with the duck, and everyone made what suited them!  I also made a large pot of soup which we had beforehand, and a nice green salad to have with the duck.  All in all, it was very nice, but I'm not sure I'd do it again  lol   I think I'd rather go for Susanne's punch thumbsup

Am going to made a stock from those bones though, as they will make delicious soup!

Likes (0)