Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 13 Apr 07 10:19am

Joba

Occupation Student
From Copenhagen
Member since Fri 13 Apr 07

Problems with wisdom teeth - what to eat?

Hey there,

because of her really badly suppurated wisdom teeth, my girlfriend can't eat anything she has to chew right now. She's tired of all this instant mashed potatoes etc, so I am looking for tasty and delicious alternatives for "easy to swallow" dishes....any suggestions?
Thanx a lot in advance,

Joba

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 13 Apr 07 10:42am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Re: Problems with wisdom teeth - what to eat?

OUCH!!!!!

I remember wisdom tooth pain..... it still makes me wince thinking about it!

My pain used to some and go, but when it hure BOY did it hurt!!!

My jaw, cheek, even my eye hurt...

The only way to stop it is to find a realy good dentist and have the thing out mate! instant relief!!!

Until then, I used to make batches of home made soup. Soup is good because made fresh it is one of the best meals, and it is so comforting... and as you said, it doesn't need chewing-you can even drink it if you need to!

Soup is also realy versatile,make it out of whatever takes your fancy, and keep changing the ingredients... a real liquid meal in a bowl!

Tell her I feel for her... she needs to get them looked at though.

All the best

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Fri 13 Apr 07 10:48am)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 13 Apr 07 11:07am

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

I would also recommend yoghurts, smooties etc - good way of getting the fruit levels up.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Apr 07 1:59pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

poor girl! i thought as mrs gibba did, i would have many fruits juice, trying to change every time the sort of fruit i choose, i hope this will end soon smile ah! does she like jelly?, it would be good, too

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 13 Apr 07 2:31pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Apple sauce would be another suggestion wink

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Apr 07 5:54pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Try to make sure that the soups and juices and smoothies are not very acidic, otherwise it will sting like crazy (speaking from experience). 

Otherwise, I'd go with the soup, smoothies, jelly, etc options, and hope she can see her dentist soon.

I do hope it's sorted quickly, as I know how painful teeth (and wisdom teeth in particular) can be.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 13 Apr 07 6:49pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Pfouh, remember those days...!! had the 4 taken at one go... looked like a hamster for 2 weeks..  lol

ICE CREAM!!!! EASY TO SWALLOW AND THE COLD KEEPS THE PAIN AWAY... (AT LEAST FOR A WHILE!)... it's like a local anaesthetic..!!!

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 13 Apr 07 7:41pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

She has to see a dentist-seriously!

I left mine too long and ended up with a jaw bone infection. Not only was it very painful-it was also very expencive treatment. I had to see the dentist daily for over a week and every day he needed to remove stiches and re-stich again. And because everything was so infected it made it difficult to use anaesthetic-say no more!!!

So just get her to a dentist and hold her hand!

Confuzed

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Apr 07 8:44pm

Joba

Occupation Student
From Copenhagen
Member since Fri 13 Apr 07

Thanks for your suggestions! I puréed some sweet potatoes, carrots and celery with thyme and basil now  - and she loved it! To cover the vitamin part, I'm doing several smoothies which bring back some color and taste in her life...

And don't worry: she has already been seeing a dentist, but because the infection is so bad, he could do nothing but prescribe heavy antibiotics....poor thing!

Joba

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 13 Apr 07 9:10pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Glad to hear that things are under control, and I do so sympathise.  If she's having large doses of antibiotics, she should really eat a portion of live (bio) yoghurt with every dose - it cuts down on the likelihood of upset tummies and other nasties which would be the last thing she needs at the moment.

Good wishes for a speedy recovery smile

Likes (0)